He called on Cecilia Vega, a White House reporter for ABC News, and baselessly insinuated she was "shocked" that he had tapped her.
"I'm not, thank you, Mr President", the White House reporter responded.
Trump drew criticism for the comment, and a surprised response from Vega during the press conference.
"That's OK, I know you're not thinking", responded Trump, who apparently misheard her. When confronted with questions about the sexual assault investigation that his supreme court nominee Brett Kavanaugh is now undergoing, Trump's demeanor changed, and he became rather defensive.
Trump appeared to misunderstand her, believing her to say "I'm not thinking".
On several occasions, President Donald Trump has disrespected members of the media. "You never do", Trump shot back.
Amazon Unveils $50 Fire TV Stick 4K to Fight Roku
The Fire TV Stick 4K is a brand new product Amazon just released, and it comes with an all new Alexa remote, too. The Alexa Voice Remote will start shipping on the same dates for $30 / £30 / 30 when bought separately.
Following the conference, Vega posted a tweet stating that any question can be asked at press conferences but did not comment on Trump's "You never do" remark. The president said he had "no problem" with that.
Vega later addressed the exchange on Twitter, saying she believed the President had clearly heard her questions.
"Can you imagine if I had, what a mess I'd be?"
When Collins protested, Trump wagged a finger and said, "Don't do that".
But that was not the exchange originally printed on the White House transcript.
"I wouldn't mind that at all", Trump said.
Trump also told reporters that he had seen many senators in "very bad" circumstances, hinting that he'd seen many of them seriously drunk. "You've had enough. You've really had enough".
When the White House distributed a transcript of the meeting to media contacts, the line was different, with an incongruous "thanking" substituted for "thinking". "I'm not giving it to you".
- North and South Korea removing landmines along border
- Saudi king 'might not be there for two weeks' without U.S. support
- McConnell says senators will get Federal Bureau of Investigation report on Kavanaugh
- Cubs Lose Against Brewers, Face Must-Win Situation Tonight
- Pete Carroll -- Cut Earl Thomas 'a little slack' over gesture
- Trump Administration to Deny Visas to Same-Sex Partners of Queer Diplomats
- National League Wild Card Game: Rockies vs Cubs
- Duke & Duchess of Sussex have made their First Official Visit to Sussex
- Former Valencia star Pablo Hernandez predicts loss for Manchester United
- Cristiano Ronaldo sued by Nevada woman over alleged sexual assault