It's expected to turn north, weaken over several days and make landfall over northern Baja California.
Hurricane Rosa is on track to drench northwest Mexico and parts of the southwest U.S., prompting tropical storm warnings for the Baja California coast and flash flood alerts for parts of four USA states.
Rosa had maximum sustained winds of 70 mph (110 kph) Sunday evening and was centered about 235 miles (380 kilometers) southwest of Punta Eugenia in Mexico.
Hurricane Rosa, which will downgrade to a tropical storm, is expected to bring inches of rain the the desert southwest but looks like Sunday will have some storms too. The storm was moving north at 12 miles per hour and had maximum sustained winds of 105 miles per hour.
Senate panel receives new Kavanaugh allegations
Republicans plan to vote on Kavanaugh less than 24 hours later on Friday, though that could be postponed . Swetnick claimed she was gang raped and that Kavanugh was present at the time.
Rosa was expected to reach Baja California on Monday as a tropical storm. A flash flood watch is already in place for a large portion of the Colorado Rockies, with the National Weather Service saying widespread rain is possible in the northwestern and southwestern San Juan Mountains, the Uncompahgre Plateau and Dallas Divide. The National Hurricane Center said Baja California could get 3 to 6 inches.
This image shows the projected path of Hurricane Rosa on Friday, Sept. 28, 2018.
However, no coastal watches or warnings are in effect, it added.
Rain is expected to begin Sunday afternoon in southeastern California and Arizona, where 2-4 inches is likely to fall. Moisture from Hurricane Rosa will lead to the possibility of record rainfall and flash flooding next week.
- Optimism mounts for an imminent NAFTA deal
- Venezuela's Maduro making surprise UN trip as pressure grows
- 'They were laughing': Ford says her attacker was Kavanaugh
- Elon Musk’s fortune takes a $1.5-billion hit after SEC lawsuit
- Iranian President Urges EU’s Practical Measures to Save JCPOA
- Trump asks FBI to probe claims against Kavanaugh
- Lindsay Lohan accused of trying to kidnap refugee children in Instagram livestream
- Passenger Plane Misses Runway, Crash-Lands in Ocean
- Typhoon Trami packing 202km/h winds in Japan
- Fortnite High Stakes and v5.40 update delayed over controller bug