With Cleveland trailing 14-0, Mayfield - the No. 1 overall pick in this year's NFL Draft - entered the game to replace injured starter Tyrod Taylor with just under two minutes to play until halftime. The last time they walked off the field with a win, it was Week 16 of the 2016 campaign, as Robert Griffin III led the team to a 20-17 victory over the San Diego Chargers. Since then, Cleveland had 19-game winless streak.
When you're facing a New York Jets team in a Thursday Night Football matchup that many are referring to as the "Toilet Bowl", going with a dark shade of brown to fill the majority of your uniform probably isn't the best choice. The player of the game was rookie quarterback Baker Mayfield.
Isaiah Crowell had two touchdown runs for the Jets (1-2), who seemed in control when they took a 14-0 lead and knocked Taylor from the game. In his one main drive of the half, he helped lead a two-minute drill to a field goal (Yes, the Browns made a field goal!). The Browns had opportunities to win, and a team that hasn't found a way to win a game can't miss not just field goals, but extra points.
China to penalise $60 billion of U.S
Tariffs of 10 percent will be imposed on $200 billion (€171 billion) worth of imports from September 24, rising to 25 percent on January 1.
As fate would have it, Mayfield and the offense took the lead late 21-17 off a touchdown from Carlos Hyde and the stellar defense held the Jets off for their first win in 635 days.
After another field goal by new Browns kicker Greg Joseph cut the deficit to eight, Hyde scored from a yard out to make it 14-12 with 47 seconds left in the third quarter. Landry then lofted a pass into the end zone to Mayfield, whose conversion tied it and sent Cleveland fans into a frenzy.
He went 4 of 14 for 19 yards, taking three sacks and an intentional-grounding penalty as the Browns punted on their first six possessions.
Per ESPN Stats & Info, Taylor was the first QB to throw for fewer than 20 yards on 14-plus attempts in the first half of a game since 2011.
- Union Cabinet Approves Ordinance to Criminalise Triple Talaq
- Meghan Markle's Mom Doria Attends Kensington Palace Event Celebrating Duchess's Cookbook Release
- Suge Knight to be sentenced to 28 years in prison
- Trump suggested Sahara wall to stem migrants
- Cristiano Ronaldo escapes extended ban for red card against Valencia
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren excited about Josh Gordon joining Patriots
- Maroon 5 To Play Super Bowl Halftime 2019
- The Conners: Roseanne Barr Says She Knows How Her Character Dies
- Samsung's Galaxy A7 sports company's first triple camera
- Russian aircrew deaths: Putin and Netanyahu defuse tension