A wildfire erupted in forest land in Northern California on Wednesday, forcing the evacuation of dozens of homes and the closure of a stretch of an interstate highway near where a deadly blaze broke out in July, officials said.
Truckers who rely heavily on I-5 to transport timber and other goods along the West Coast had the unenviable choice of waiting or taking a jammed detour that added 115 miles or so to their journeys.
Wildfires in California have scorched far more ground this year than in 2017, one of the most destructive in the state's history.
The California Highway Patrol said Thursday the closure of Interstate 5 in Shasta County has significantly snarled traffic.
The Delta Fire, the latest wildfire to chew through heavy brush and terrain in Shasta County at a rapid clip, has grown to almost 58 square miles and continues to burn without containment. The truck stop's facilities were stretched to their limits, cashier Jacob Chapman said Thursday afternoon.
Southgate vows to stick to principles despite Spain defeat
Gareth Southgate gave a start to Marcus Rashford, a player now struggling to make his mark with Manchester United this season.
Flames from a backfire burn around a fire truck battling the Delta Fire in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest, Calif., on Thursday, Sept. 6, 2018.
"It's been ridiculously congested". They said the fire is burning close to the highway, guard rails are destroyed, and thousands of trees pose a hazard of falling into the roadway. By 3 a.m. Saturday at the Green Mountain weather station east of the fire conditions had settled down, with 3 miles per hour north and northeast winds and 32 percent humidity.
"They had a lot of ground troops- they just didn't have many people to manage them, so our people were in charge of crews", he said. It continued to spread east and has merged with the 46,000-acre Hirz Fire.
California has been hit with one massive blaze after another over the summer, including a blaze not far from the Delta Fire that last month burned about 1,100 homes and killed eight people.
Firefighters have not been able to build any containment lines against the fast-moving blaze, officials with the Shasta-Trinity National Forest said on Twitter.
- Nadal retires to send Del Potro into U.S. Open final
- BREAKING Rapper Mac Miller is dead aged just 26
- Tropical storms, depressions and hurricanes quickly forming over Atlantic Ocean
- Jackson as a young Nick Fury in 'Captain Marvel'
- Beware, NFL: Eagles defense may have gotten even better
- Jack Ma: English teacher turned internet tycoon
- Olivia Newton-John diagnosed with cancer for 3rd time
- Dallas Police Officer Who Shot Botham Shem Jean Identified
- Mac Miller, Pittsburgh Rapper And Producer, Reportedly Dead At 26
- Nations League Highlights: Germany vs