Gordon strengthened rapidly overnight, and it was expected to hit the central Gulf of Mexico sometime late Tuesday.
"Gordon is expected to bring life-threatening storm surge and hurricane conditions to portions of the central Gulf Coast where a Storm Surge Warning and Hurricane Warning are in effect", the center says. It was moving west at 15 miles per hour, pushing maximum sustained winds of 70 miles per hour with higher gusts.Forecasters said that little change in strength was expected and that no coastal watches or warnings were in effect.
Gordon was expected to strengthen into a hurricane just before making landfall in MS sometime Tuesday or Wednesday.
In New Orleans, Mayor LaToya Cantrell issued a voluntary evacuation notice for areas outside of the New Orleans levee system.
Tropical Storm Gordon is centered 50 miles (80 kilometres) off the coast of Fort Myers, Florida on Monday evening, dumping rain on the peninsula and whipping its shores with maximum winds up to 50 miles per hour (80 km/h).
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect from the Okaloosa-Walton County Line and stretches from Golden Beach to Bonita Beach and from Craig Key to Ocean Reef, including Florida Bay. The storm surge for coastal Alabama will reach between two and four feet.
In Mississippi, vessels in the harbors of Biloxi and Gulfport have been ordered to evacuate by 2 p.m. Tuesday due to the risk from storm surge there.
President Barrow attends FOCAC Summit in China
More than 180 major Chinese enterprises and thousands of small and medium enterprises have been established in the country. The Chinese company has already provided direct jobs to more than 8,000 Ethiopians with its two local factories.
A Tropical Storm Gordon Twitter account even cropped up on Monday, personifying the terror so many people felt.
The weather will gradually improve Wednesday. Many replies to various National Weather Service accounts or other outlets with their pleas that the storm veer spontaneously away, as the Gulf coast is still dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey.
Tropical Storm Gordon's gusty winds and heavy rains began buffeting the Alabama coast on Tuesday night after coastal residents from Florida to Louisiana hustled to prepare for the deluge.
The storm is expected to cross from southwest Florida into the Gulf Coast later Monday afternoon.
Tropical Storm Gordon continues to get a little better organized in the eastern Gulf.
The Atlantic and Pacific oceans bordering the USA are in the midst of hurricane season, where hurricane Lane and Chris have already made landfall. A Flash Flood Watch is in effect.
- Brazil's Lula da Silva barred from running for presidency
- Roxanne Pallett releases statement after leaving Celebrity Big Brother
- Justice Department lawyer said Russian Federation had Donald Trump ‘over a barrel’
- Federer braced for Kyrgios test on sixth day of U.S. Open
- Couple Who Raised $400K for Homeless Hero Ordered to Hand Over Funds
- Cristiano Ronaldo was never lined up for United return - Mourinho
- After church service, McCain to depart Arizona for last time
- Ottawa analyzing Trans Mountain ruling; going ahead with pipeline purchase
- Fuel prices hit all-time high, petrol Rs 86.56 per litre in Mumbai
- Chinese billionaire arrested for criminal sexual conduct in Minneapolis