The peak time of the Atlantic hurricane season stretches between mid August and late October when historically the largest storms have done the most damage.
Two tropical storms formed in the Pacific Ocean off southwestern Mexico, but neither posed any immediate threat to land as they took tracks predicted to move parallel to the coast.
The NHC issued a tropical storm warning Wednesday for Hawaii County, and the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency advised residents to prepare an emergency kit that includes at least a 14-day supply of food, water and other necessities.
Maximum sustained winds are near 65 miles per hour (100 kph) with higher gusts.
The center of Hector was about 750 miles east-southeast of Honolulu, the NWS alert said Tuesday.
Ben Shapiro offers Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez $10,000 to appear on his show
Whitmer, the first-ever female leader of a MI state Senate caucus, beat back challenges from former Detroit health director Dr. It is still possible that Whitmer chooses a male running mate for lieutenant governor.
Big Island officials are taking precautions in advance of the storm nearing the state.
An erupting Hawaii volcano is causing fewer earthquakes, and there's less lava coming out of an eruption site in a neighborhood just as the Big Island braces for an approaching hurricane. It was moving west at 9 miles per hour.
Surf: Swells generated by Hector are forecast to reach southeast and east shores of the Big Island and Maui late Tuesday.
On Aug. 6 at 4:40 a.m. EDT (0840 UTC) the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer or MODIS instrument aboard NASA's Terra satellite analyzed Tropical Storm Ileana's cloud top temperatures in infrared light. Combined with high tides, this could lead to some overwash of low-lying coastal areas and perhaps some beach erosion.
Building subtropical high pressure north of Hector will keep the hurricane on a generally westward course the next several days.
- Why Twitter won't ban Alex Jones
- Turkey in danger zone as Trump raises tariffs
- Google Play Store Now Tells You It Doesn't Have Fortnite
- Mosquitoes in Boise, Garden City Test Positive for West Nile
- Widely Watched Ohio House Race Too Close to Call
- Moms of 11 children found at New Mexico compound arrested
- Oil slips as trade worries weigh on market
- Six bombshells from Rick Gates' testimony in the Paul Manafort trial
- Liverpool's centre back shortage not a problem for Jürgen Klopp
- Tiemoue Bakayoko close to AC Milan loan move from Chelsea