The peak time of the Atlantic hurricane season stretches between mid August and late October when historically the largest storms have done the most damage.
Two tropical storms formed in the Pacific Ocean off southwestern Mexico, but neither posed any immediate threat to land as they took tracks predicted to move parallel to the coast.
The NHC issued a tropical storm warning Wednesday for Hawaii County, and the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency advised residents to prepare an emergency kit that includes at least a 14-day supply of food, water and other necessities.
Maximum sustained winds are near 65 miles per hour (100 kph) with higher gusts.
The center of Hector was about 750 miles east-southeast of Honolulu, the NWS alert said Tuesday.
Wild brawl at nail salon
Police say Thomas hit an employee, who then in turn struck the customer with a broom. A protest was held outside the salon on Monday morning.
Big Island officials are taking precautions in advance of the storm nearing the state.
An erupting Hawaii volcano is causing fewer earthquakes, and there's less lava coming out of an eruption site in a neighborhood just as the Big Island braces for an approaching hurricane. It was moving west at 9 miles per hour.
Surf: Swells generated by Hector are forecast to reach southeast and east shores of the Big Island and Maui late Tuesday.
On Aug. 6 at 4:40 a.m. EDT (0840 UTC) the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer or MODIS instrument aboard NASA's Terra satellite analyzed Tropical Storm Ileana's cloud top temperatures in infrared light. Combined with high tides, this could lead to some overwash of low-lying coastal areas and perhaps some beach erosion.
Building subtropical high pressure north of Hector will keep the hurricane on a generally westward course the next several days.
- Chelsea Keen On Liverpool Target Nabil Fekir But Europa League Negative Factor
- Mosquitoes in Boise, Garden City Test Positive for West Nile
- Oil slips as trade worries weigh on market
- Trump to Impose Sanctions on Russia Nerve Agent Attack on Ex-Spy
- Google Play Store Now Tells You It Doesn't Have Fortnite
- Why Twitter won't ban Alex Jones
- USA sets date for additional China tariffs
- Liverpool's centre back shortage not a problem for Jürgen Klopp
- Six bombshells from Rick Gates' testimony in the Paul Manafort trial
- Conservative Party to investigate Boris Johnson's burka comments