Niagara Region PublicHealth has received its first report of West Nile Virus (WNV) in mosquitoes in2018.
The county says this is the first bird to test positive for West Nile since monitoring began on May 1.
Common symptoms of West Nile virus include fever, headache, body aches and rash.
Dress - Wear loose-fitting, long sleeved shirts and trousers to reduce the amount of exposed skin. Empty containers and change water weekly in containers that can not be removed, such as bird baths, pet dishes and wading pools.
DUSK and DAWN-This is when mosquitoes are most active.
Horse owners should be aware of the typical signs of West Nile Virus which include:·.
Indonesia Earthquake: What You Should Know
The quake in Lombok occurred at 7:46 p.m. local time, and has claimed the lives of at least 90 people and injured 64. On July 29th there was a 6-point-4 magnitude quake that left at least 17 people dead.
"Mosquitoes are weak flyers and won't travel far from where they are born".
The best defense is with an EPA-approved insect repellent.
"While the symptoms may not seem threatening in the vast majority of cases, serious impacts to health can occur from being bitten by mosquitoes that carry this virus", McDonnell said. Fortunately, most people infected with West Nile virus develop the less severe form of the disease or develop no symptoms at all.
The department has not confirmed any cases of the virus in humans within Tuscarawas County.
While a doctor can diagnose a case of West Nile Virus, he or she can't cure someone who has contracted it. Horse and large animal owners are encouraged to vaccinate their animals against the virus and to clean out watering sources, such as buckets and troughs, every three-to-four days to prevent mosquitoes from breeding there.
"If you develop a fever or other symptoms after being bitten by a mosquito, you should contact your health care provider", SC State epidemiologist Dr. Linda Bell said. Consult with a pediatrician or family physician if you have questions about the use of repellent on children, as repellent is not recommended for children younger than 2 months.
- Six bombshells from Rick Gates' testimony in the Paul Manafort trial
- France U20 star Matteo Guendouzi to have Arsenal medical
- Elon Musk’s Tesla Claim Could Land Him in Regulatory Trouble
- Turkey in danger zone as Trump raises tariffs
- John Kasich: Suburban GOP Women 'Turned Off' by Trump's Chaos
- Oil slips as trade worries weigh on market
- Why Twitter won't ban Alex Jones
- Pixel 3 XL leaks in retail box with USB-C earphones
- Stella McCartney on the quality she shares with friend Meghan Markle
- Trump to Impose Sanctions on Russia Nerve Agent Attack on Ex-Spy