While a rising ball got a thick edge of Rahane's bat, a attractive inswinger castled Karthik, who was playing a Test match in England after 10 years.
Kohli dismissed the England skipper for 70 with a direct hit - a brilliant bit of fielding at square leg - and then celebrated with a "mic drop" in retaliation to Root's own in clinching the preceding one-day series between the two teams.
England definitely won that session, but will they end up ruing those two drop off Kohli?
Dawid Malan (17 not out) and Jonny Bairstow (five not out) ensured no further losses for England in the opening hour, though the former was fortunate to escape an edge which fell just short of first slip.
In their second innings, England lost Alastair Cook to the day's final ball as they closed on 9-1.
In fear of being bowled out to leave England well ahead, Kohli took over the task of controlling the innings. Kohli thought, "You're going to boo me?" Kohli survived an arduous spell by James Anderson and Ben Stokes to hold the Indian innings together.
Demi Lovato Road to Recovery Met with 'Complications'
Lovato's family and manager just want Demi to get healthy and they are focused on getting her healthy and taking it day by day. The 25-year-old was reportedly revived with Narcan , which one of her friends kept on hand in case something ever happened.
Cook's dismissal brought about stumps, with Keaton Jennings five not out.
"I hope he wins this Test series against England", Mushtaq said.
The Indian Captain forged a partnership with Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma and Umesh Yadav and helped India add 105 more runs before being dismissed. He did not fish too much with deliveries outside the off stump as the fans were treated to a great contest between Jimmy Anderson (22-41-2) and Kohli.
Jos Buttler, meanwhile, was back at the ground after the England and Wales Cricket Board confirmed that he had gone to hospital during the lunch interval to have an X-ray on his left middle finger.
But Curran struck three times in eight balls before India eventually took lunch at 76 for three.
Root, though, was quick to play down any hint of antagonism in the gestures, telling the BBC's Test Match Special before day two: "It actually adds to the theatre of the game". However, the entire scenario changed after Sam Curran was introduced into the attack by Joe Root.
- Mars Close Approach: How to view the celestial event
- Judge raps prosecutors over testimony on Manafort's luxuries
- Iranians criticise Trump's offer of talks
- Loans to get costlier as RBI hikes repo rate again
- Why Trump Imposed Sanctions on a Key NATO Ally
- Satellite Images Suggest North Korea Is Up To Something Once Again
- Sen.: Family separation is 'official kidnapping, child abuse'
- Zimbabwe election rigged? MDC claims vote results were 'manipulated'
- USA accuses Russian Federation of 'pervasive' election meddling
- Shark dressed as baby and stolen from aquarium in San Antonio Texas