News cited intelligence sources saying that the gang put a price of about C$91,000 on Sombra's head, and that the dog has been moved from the gang's operating centre to the airport in Bogota.
According to reports, the Urabeños drug gang, Colombia's most feared criminal organization, put the hit on Sombra after the 6-year-old pooch recently sniffed out almost 10 TONS of cocaine in 2 separate busts. A significant part of the drug industry controls the local criminal gang "Urabenos", which is also known as the "clan Usuga" or "the Golf clan".
"Sombra is a very friendly, calm canine, and for that reason, she has no problem approaching children or people who want to say hello to her", Oscar Favian Solarte, head of the anti-narcotics division, told El Tiempo.
The threat prompted officials to relocate Sombra - whose name in Spanish means Shadow - from the port of Turbo on the Caribbean coast to the capital city, where she now uses her extraordinary talent at Bogotá's El Dorado global airport.
After her six hour shift is over, Sombra is transported in a van with tinted windows back to her kennel.
Manafort trial begins in biggest test yet for special counsel Robert Mueller
Prosecutors preparing witnesses for the upcoming trial of President Donald Trump's one-time campaign chairman Paul J. Short of an acquittal, the best hope for Manafort to avoid jail time remains a presidential pardon.
Colombia's national police estimates it has lost at least 1,800 officers - and a number of dogs - to the war on drugs in the past two decades.
Sombra is now being held at the Bogota airport for (obvious) safety reasons. Investigators uncovered the threat against Sombra through an intercepted phone call. A few months ago, the tenacious hound also detected 77 kilos of cocaine placed deep inside an industrial machine.
Tighter airport security will make it easier for Sombra's handlers to protect her, Newsweek reported.
Sombra the drug-sniffing police dog is famous in Colombia. Several pooches have been killed while helping officers eradicate coca crops.
Rojas said the star-like attention hasn't gotten to Sombra's head. That dog, as you may have guessed, is Sombra.
- Soybean price chart shows why Trump is helping farmers amid trade war
- USA ‘prepared’ and may strike Iran next month
- Did Egyptian zoo paint donkeys to make them look like Zebras?
- Roseanne apologizes for Valerie Jarrett tweet in free-wheeling Hannity interview
- Perry Endorses Push to Impeach Rosenstein
- 700+ Migrant Families Still Separated as Reunification Deadline Passes
- Newcastle should swoop for Marega to provide partner to Muto
- Giuliani says he's not sure collusion is a crime
- Greece wildfires: Search for missing family members
- India excludes 4 million people from draft citizens list in Assam state