News cited intelligence sources saying that the gang put a price of about C$91,000 on Sombra's head, and that the dog has been moved from the gang's operating centre to the airport in Bogota.
According to reports, the Urabeños drug gang, Colombia's most feared criminal organization, put the hit on Sombra after the 6-year-old pooch recently sniffed out almost 10 TONS of cocaine in 2 separate busts. A significant part of the drug industry controls the local criminal gang "Urabenos", which is also known as the "clan Usuga" or "the Golf clan".
"Sombra is a very friendly, calm canine, and for that reason, she has no problem approaching children or people who want to say hello to her", Oscar Favian Solarte, head of the anti-narcotics division, told El Tiempo.
The threat prompted officials to relocate Sombra - whose name in Spanish means Shadow - from the port of Turbo on the Caribbean coast to the capital city, where she now uses her extraordinary talent at Bogotá's El Dorado global airport.
After her six hour shift is over, Sombra is transported in a van with tinted windows back to her kennel.
Twitter Shares Fall, Ending A Hard Week For Social Media Stocks
In May and June, it suspended 70 million fake or suspicious accounts before they became part of the company's official MAU count. The number of monthly active users dropped to 335 million in the quarter, a decrease of more than 3 million in the quarter.
Colombia's national police estimates it has lost at least 1,800 officers - and a number of dogs - to the war on drugs in the past two decades.
Sombra is now being held at the Bogota airport for (obvious) safety reasons. Investigators uncovered the threat against Sombra through an intercepted phone call. A few months ago, the tenacious hound also detected 77 kilos of cocaine placed deep inside an industrial machine.
Tighter airport security will make it easier for Sombra's handlers to protect her, Newsweek reported.
Sombra the drug-sniffing police dog is famous in Colombia. Several pooches have been killed while helping officers eradicate coca crops.
Rojas said the star-like attention hasn't gotten to Sombra's head. That dog, as you may have guessed, is Sombra.
- 2 children, great-grandmother killed in Northern California wildfire
- "Fortnite’s" Birthday Event Begins Today - How You Can Get Involved
- Greece wildfires: Search for missing family members
- Kawhi Leonard passes physical with Toronto Raptors
- NY is kicking Spectrum out of the state for ‘recurring failures’
- Facebook's US$119 billion one-day loss makes USA history
- Liverpool and Man United level at the break as Mané converts penalty
- India excludes 4 million people from draft citizens list in Assam state
- Giuliani says he's not sure collusion is a crime
- Perry Endorses Push to Impeach Rosenstein