"A week ago he asked for the World Cup", Herbert wrote, "so we delivered". So famous were his crosses that a movie, "Bend It Like Beckham", was spun off it in 2002. "Maybe that's because they are quite young and have their careers still in front of them".
The players have seen the videos of fans wildly celebrating their quarter-final victory over Sweden and are aware of the mood in England but Dier says their eyes are fixed on their next task. Trippier's delivery from the right has been even more impressive, so much so that some have nicknamed him the "Bury Beckham" - a reference to the northern town where he was born.
World Cup fever is sweeping the nation - and Danny McLaughlin has found himself at the centre of attention thanks to his unbelievable resemblance to star player Harry Kane.
"It is good to inspire people and inspire kids watching this tournament, because I was one of those kids who grew up wanting to play for England", he said.
A 2-0 victory over Malta in October, 2016 got Southgate's reign as Sam Allardyce's successor off to the flawless start and he's since managed to guide the Three Lions to a World Cup semi-final. Anyone who backs this underdog could hit it big.
Trump 'very close' to decision on Supreme Court pick
I do think the president has to think about who is the easiest to get confirmed here. Amul Thapar is the US' first Article III judge of South Asian descent.
"I've known Luka for a number of years, not only from the national team", Mandzukic told reporters.
"His use of the ball is as good as any centre-back in the tournament, so hopefully he's gaining belief from the performances at this level". They've used decoy runners. "We'd had early in the game really, a nervy start maybe, and the goal really settled us down and then we deserved the win".
England played with patience, tenacity and perseverance, and Jordan Pickford picked up the Man of the Match accolade after some fantastic saves.
Keown also compared Maguire's presence in the heart of the Three Lions' defence to the legendary Bobby Moore, who lifted the World Cup for England in 1966.
Croatia eventually knocked the hosts out on penalties after the match finished 2-2 at the end of extra time.
- 5 things to know about Amazon Prime day
- World Cup 2018 Quarter Final preview
- Trump's ex-lawyer fires what could be a warning shot
- Ant-Man And The Wasp's TWO Post-Credits Scenes Explained
- News Trump's Pressure On NATO Is Working, US Ambassador Claims
- Federation Internationale de Football Association 2018: Belgium, France into the next round
- Kylie Jenner reveals she Got Rid of all her Lip Fillers
- England stars’ amusing reactions after qualifying for quarter-finals
- English Woman Exposed To Nerve Agent Dies
- Michael Bisping, Kenny Florian: Jon Jones Lingers Over Daniel Cormier