This would force current premium users to pay a 20 per cent increase in subscription fees for the best Netflix package.
Netflix is testing a higher price "Ultra" plan that will sit above the current Premium plan.
Italian Netflix customers have received promotional material for the Netflix Ultra platform which promises 4K Ultra HD content with access to high dynamic range (HDR) images and HD audio, according to a TuttoAndroid report.
PhoneArena claims some Italian users are already seeing promotional material that describes Premium thusly, and that show the Standard plan, which now allows streaming across two devices simultaneously, being downgraded to one device. The three tiers available now are Basic, Standard, and Premium, with Premium costing subscribers $13.99 per month.
Trump admin reverses Obama, prods schools to ignore racial factors in admissions
The rules under Obama , a Democrat, were issued by the Department of Justice and the Department of Education. The new affirmative action guidance could add to an already contentious fight over the next justice.
It's Premium subscribers who look to be hit hardest, who will not only see their maximum simultaneous streams drop from 4 to 2, but will lose out on the ability to view content in HDR entirely.
There's no word on an official release or if any of the changes will actually make it to consumers but Netflix has responded to the rumours.
In a statement given to CNET, a Netflix spokesperson said that they "continuously test new things at Netflix and these tests typically vary in length of time". The company said that they are "testing slightly different price points and features to better understand how consumers value Netflix" and the option is only being shown to some European consumers.
"Not everyone will see this test and we may not ever offer specific elements included in the test to our members". If so, this is also a subtle price hike, considering subscribers will be paying the same price for less features. Presuming you have an Ultra HD HDR screen to watch it on, the Ultra tier will cost you 16.99 Euro a month, roughly $19.80.
- Trump interviews Indian-American Amul Thapar for SC judge nominee
- Fabian Delph given permission to leave England World Cup squad
- Obama handed 2.5K Iranians citizenship in Iran nuke deal
- Julius Randle an unrestricted free agent after Lakers renounce his rights
- Trump’s Judicial Adviser Names Four Potential Supreme Court Nominees
- #WC2018: Big guns primed for quarter-final battles
- Cardin Dodges on Whether U.S. Should Abolish ICE
- Playing 'favorites' Brazil a dream for Belgium: Martinez
- Jesse Lingard: Gareth Southgate's 'formation suits us perfectly' claims England star
- LeBron James's National Basketball Association move to LA has really got people talking