Andray Blatche from the Philippines team was spotted throwing a clothesline, while the crowd got involved, throwing bottles and booing. Andray Blatche, who used to play in the National Basketball Association for the Washington Wizards and Brooklyn Nets and now plays for the Philippines, was also involved in the brawl. Maker responded by charging at Romeo and kicking at him with his left leg.
One Aussie player appeared to be hit by a chair, and the fans threw debris on the court as the fight escalated.
In the end, a totoal of 13 players were ejected, nine from Gilas.
The ejections left the Philippines with only three players, including Gabe Norwood, a guard on the George Mason team that advanced to the 2006 Final Four, but the game continued anyway.
'(We) want to appeal to everybody to please settle down, ' the game's announcer said.
But if their side is routed by suspensions it will make things hard for one of the world's fastest growing basketball populations, in short this game could cost them a world cup place and basketball will be poorer for it. The Bucks said they would have no comment about Maker. We will continue the game.
Ronaldo follows Messi out of Russian Federation as Portugal hit Uruguay roadblock
Portugal will not change the way they play, which is quite one-dimensional and not particularly inspiring. The first FIFA World Cup meeting between Uruguay and Portugal is bound to be a doozy.
A Filipino official at the arena asked those present to "show respect to our friends of Australia". "The decisions will be communicated in the coming days", FIBA tweeted on Monday.
"I understand the disappointment, I understand that some are embarrassed, but you don't know what happened".
Ultimately, 13 players were ejected from the game, and CNN reports that the basketball governing body FIBA has opened disciplinary proceedings against both sides.
Basketball Australia chief executive Anthony Moore issued a short statement after the match.
"Basketball Australia deeply regrets the incident in tonight's game between the Boomers and the Philippines in Manila".
- Trump Condemns Democrats Calling to Abolish ICE: ‘It Will Never Happen!’
- Priyanka Chopra Said the Cutest Thing About Nick Jonas
- Two-thirds of Americans oppose reversing Roe vs. Wade
- Aeroméxico Offers Discount Trips to Seoul to Celebrate World Cup Success
- Belgium Win In Amazing Comeback That Will Be A World Cup Classic
- LeBron James's National Basketball Association move to LA has really got people talking
- Paul George Expected To Immediately Re-Sign With Thunder
- A final good-bye: Toys R Us closes its doors forever
- Now not the time to talk about my future, says Ronaldo
- Jesse Lingard: Gareth Southgate's 'formation suits us perfectly' claims England star