Andray Blatche from the Philippines team was spotted throwing a clothesline, while the crowd got involved, throwing bottles and booing. Andray Blatche, who used to play in the National Basketball Association for the Washington Wizards and Brooklyn Nets and now plays for the Philippines, was also involved in the brawl. Maker responded by charging at Romeo and kicking at him with his left leg.
One Aussie player appeared to be hit by a chair, and the fans threw debris on the court as the fight escalated.
In the end, a totoal of 13 players were ejected, nine from Gilas.
The ejections left the Philippines with only three players, including Gabe Norwood, a guard on the George Mason team that advanced to the 2006 Final Four, but the game continued anyway.
'(We) want to appeal to everybody to please settle down, ' the game's announcer said.
But if their side is routed by suspensions it will make things hard for one of the world's fastest growing basketball populations, in short this game could cost them a world cup place and basketball will be poorer for it. The Bucks said they would have no comment about Maker. We will continue the game.
Best Twitter reactions after South Korea knock Germany out
Germany is out of the World Cup , the fourth defending champion in the last five tournaments to be eliminated in the group stage. That goal was huge for Mexico , as they would advance to the knockout stage despite losing to Sweden .
A Filipino official at the arena asked those present to "show respect to our friends of Australia". "The decisions will be communicated in the coming days", FIBA tweeted on Monday.
"I understand the disappointment, I understand that some are embarrassed, but you don't know what happened".
Ultimately, 13 players were ejected from the game, and CNN reports that the basketball governing body FIBA has opened disciplinary proceedings against both sides.
Basketball Australia chief executive Anthony Moore issued a short statement after the match.
"Basketball Australia deeply regrets the incident in tonight's game between the Boomers and the Philippines in Manila".
- Mascherano calls time on career after painful France defeat
- Trump rallies for GOP Senate candidate Kevin Cramer in North Dakota
- Now not the time to talk about my future, says Ronaldo
- Lakers Trade For Kawhi Could Clinch LeBron Signing
- Paul George Expected To Immediately Re-Sign With Thunder
- Ronaldo follows Messi out of Russian Federation as Portugal hit Uruguay roadblock
- Gareth Southgate admits knives will be out if England lose to Colombia
- Trump Condemns Democrats Calling to Abolish ICE: ‘It Will Never Happen!’
- Sampaoli sure Argentina can find feet against France
- Canada hits back at US with $12.6 billion in retaliatory tariffs