After a goalless first half, Japan struck twice in seven minutes following the interval to take full control of a gripping last-16 tie in Rostov-on-Don on Tuesday morning (AEST).
"No negatives today, it was about getting through", Martinez said.
"That's what happens in the World Cup".
Belgium scored a last-gasp victor to beat Japan on Monday and set up a World Cup quarter-final against Brazil.
Belgium responded but Hazard's shot rattled the post and Japan doubled its tally in the 52nd when Inui picked up the ball 25 metres out and fired a missile into the back of the net.
Desperate for a goal to get them back in the game, Lukaku headed wide with an hour approaching.
Trump rallies for GOP Senate candidate Kevin Cramer in North Dakota
Put more succinctly to CNN's Jeff Zeleny earlier this week, Heitkamp said, "He's going to say some mean things about me". Senate is now in session. "Please keep Maxine Waters on the air as your face and your mouthpiece for the Democrats".
With centre back Vincent Kompany back in the line-up for the first time since picking a groin strain in a warm-up game, Belgium had looked safe at the back but uninspired up front.
Lukaku, who was marked, left it for Chadli to tap home and cap Belgium's stunning win right before the final whistle.
This was Belgium's first goal on its comeback.
It was the whole Belgium team who were facing humiliation seven minutes into the second half as Japan opened up a surprising lead through two high-quality goals.
At the other end, Courtois saved Keisuke Honda's wickedly curling free shot which led to the winning goal.
- Canada hits back at US with $12.6 billion in retaliatory tariffs
- Priyanka Chopra Said the Cutest Thing About Nick Jonas
- Serena Williams is given the No. 25 seed for Wimbledon
- Paul George Expected To Immediately Re-Sign With Thunder
- A final good-bye: Toys R Us closes its doors forever
- Lakers Trade For Kawhi Could Clinch LeBron Signing
- Gareth Southgate admits knives will be out if England lose to Colombia
- Bentley breaks SUV hillclimb record with Kiwi at the helm
- Why Oil Prices Are Surging
- Trump Condemns Democrats Calling to Abolish ICE: ‘It Will Never Happen!’