Ronaldo and Messi are both representing their respective countries at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russian Federation, in which the Portuguese has scored four goals so far, while the Argentine has hit the back of the net just once.
Griezmann's strike from the spot was not as clean as his free kick but goalkeeper Franco Armani went the wrong way and the Frenchman converted his second penalty of tournament. Argentina continued to fight over the last 20 minutes but Aguero's header from Messi's cross in stoppage time was too little, too late. The Argentine haggles, he creates, he has a style that I like a lot. I'm sad, I'm frustrated - I think that's quite normal.
Messi and Ronaldo, captain of the Portugal side beaten 2-1 by Uruguay, also on Saturday, had been on a quarter-final collision course but the closest they will now come to each other in Russian Federation is the airport departure lounge. Portugal's run for the World Cup came to a screeching halt, thanks to Luis Suarez, 31, Edison Cavani, 31, and the rest of La Celeste. Cavani struck again soon after, however, to take his tally up to three for the tournament and to end Ronaldo's hopes of winning a World Cup with Portugal.
The Paris Saint-Germain forward opened the scoring early on to make it 1-0 before Pepe equalised after half-time. "We are aware of what you are referring to in terms of previous matches", FIFA's chief competitions and events officer Colin Smith said on Friday.
Priyanka Chopra Said the Cutest Thing About Nick Jonas
What was ethereal was the nanad-bhabhi jodi of Shloka and Isha twinning in their mogra duppatta , happily posing for the camera. Up till now she had been private about her rumoured relation, with just Nick being vocal about how much he admires Priyanka.
Portugal had 61 percent of the possession and four times as many shots at goal as the Uruguyans but Tabarez dismissed possession as a mere statistic and said what mattered was creating and converting chances. "If it were not for the injuries, he (Cristiano Ronaldo) would have been the best of all history", he said.
Remarkably, neither Ronaldo nor Messi have managed to score a single goal in a knockout tie in four World Cups going back to 2006.
After Uruguay clinched victory to set up a last-eight showdown with France, Cavani told A Bola: "It's very exciting".
- Apple to release new AirPods, HomePod, over-ear headphones in 2019?
- Gareth Southgate admits knives will be out if England lose to Colombia
- Book award drops Laura Ingalls Wilder's name over her lack of 'inclusiveness'
- Two-thirds of Americans oppose reversing Roe vs. Wade
- McEnroe calls On Wimbledon chiefs to show sense as Williams returns
- With Fortnite Playground Issues Continuing, Epic Replaces Another Limited-Time Mode
- US Mideast peace plan to be announced soon: Kushner
- Aeroméxico Offers Discount Trips to Seoul to Celebrate World Cup Success
- Bentley breaks SUV hillclimb record with Kiwi at the helm
- Samsung has finally agreed to pay up for copying the iPhone