Mexico had looked good for a last 16 spot going in to the final round of games with two wins from two, but found themselves 3-0 down against the Swedes, meaning Germany could have sneaked through at their expense if they had beaten South Korea.
That goal was huge for Mexico, as they would advance to the knockout stage despite losing to Sweden.
It was, though, a bittersweet success for the Koreans, who exited the tournament as well, despite becoming the first Asian side to defeat the Germans at a World Cup, as Sweden beat Mexico and both teams advanced.
With loss to South Korea, Germany fails to advance to the round of 16 at the FIFA #WorldCup for the first time. "I think we kept trying to turn it all around". You'd imagine many Germans will be needing a holiday after the horror of seeing their team humbled by already eliminated South Korea. In 2002, the group failed to reach France, in 2010, the same failure had overtaken Italy, and four years ago of a place in the playoffs was not Spain.
Aeroméxico Offers Discount Trips to Seoul to Celebrate World Cup Success
The 2014 champions were eliminated on Wednesday following a 2-0 defeat at the hands of South Korea . A questionable celebration by German players near the Swedish bench added to the disappointment.
We've done very well and we're happy and we deserved to win. "I couldn't imagine that we would lose to South Korea", he told Germany's ZDF television.
"Today we played really, really badly so therefore we didn't deserve to make it to the next round". Originally called out for offside, the goal was given after video review.
Germany's best chance of the half fell to, of all people, Mats Hummels, who misplayed his header horribly when wide open six yards out from goal.
Toni Kroos, the hero in the 2-1 win over Sweden, tried desperately to spark his side in the second half but was denied by South Korea's Cho Hyun-woo in the 88th minute, one of a number of fine saves by the keeper.
"We beat the world champions and normally it's a dream and we can be proud of the team", Son said.
The decision on the field was overturned, and South Korea was awarded a goal to go ahead 1-0.
- Canada hits back at US with $12.6 billion in retaliatory tariffs
- Book award drops Laura Ingalls Wilder's name over her lack of 'inclusiveness'
- Divided European Union leaders hold talks on migration
- Apple to release new AirPods, HomePod, over-ear headphones in 2019?
- Lakers Receiving Pressure To Trade For Kawhi Leonard Because of LeBron
- Argentina players stage coup against Jorge Sampaoli before Nigeria clash
- Trump gets new Supreme Court pick as critical 'swing vote' resigns
- Midfielder Matic Admits Brazil's Superiority Showed Against Serbia
- Samsung has finally agreed to pay up for copying the iPhone
- Mascherano calls time on career after painful France defeat