Messi missed a penalty against Iceland as Argentina drew 1-1 in their opening game in Russian Federation and then was then ineffective against Croatia as they were beaten 3-0 last Thursday.
Soccer's world governing body Federation Internationale de Football Association said earlier on Friday it was trying to identify the fans, who were filmed fighting at Thursday's World Cup match between Argentina and Croatia in Nizhny Novgorod.
Euro 2016 heroes Iceland can still dream of progress to the knockout rounds but they must beat Croatia and hope the other result goes their way.
Trump signs order to end splitting of migrant families
The directive may violate a 1997 court settlement and a 2008 law that require special handling of immigrant children. The order dictates other agencies, including the Pentagon, to take steps to find places to house family units.
It was skipper Lionel Messi - often derided for his below-par performance with the national side - who came to the rescue with a hat-trick in the 3-1 win in the South American qualifiers.
Lionel Messi is frustrated and desperate to turn Argentina's World Cup around, according to Javier Mascherano.
The experienced Ever Banega and Angel Di Maria will start - after sitting out the Croatia game - offering the side the much-needed creativity, width and space.
After five days of soul-searching that has seen everyone from Diego Maradona to Lionel Messi's mother have their say on where it has gone wrong so far for their team, it was left to Jorge Sampaoli to put things in perspective on Monday. "I know that if you go into a game and you don't really enjoy it then it is very hard to play well". They see him winning trophies every season with Barcelona - so they expect him to do exactly the same in the national team. Nigeria are second with three points while Iceland and Argentina are tied with a point each.
"The way the match was structured against Croatia didn't suit Messi", the coach said.
There is no better opportunity than now for Argentina's players to step up and maybe create a legacy of their own.
- What's that extra in my online cart? Soon, maybe a sales tax
- Trump Rages Against Harley Davidson Via Twitter, Casting Blame
- Novak Djokovic hopes are dashed as Marin Cilic clinches Queen's title
- Suspect arrested in Florida shooting death of rapper XXXTentacion
- Gareth Southgate: ‘We wouldn’t swap Harry Kane for anyone’
- Lakers reportedly aiming to have LeBron James team up with Chris Paul
- Catholic priest slaps baby then grabs its face during Christening
- The "nuclear option" of streaming reality: Ask Australia's Optus
- Salah to Egypt fans: We are sorry, these players are still young
- Erdogan faces major test as Turks vote for president, parliament