But Kvitova proved a different proposition for the remainder of the match, breaking twice in the second set while having to save only a single break point against her serve.
It was Friday and couple days, two days until the final.
Former US Open champion Cilic also lost the 2013 Queen's final and experienced fresh heartache against Federer in this year's Australian Open final. I think everything was working well for those two-and-a-half weeks. I feel that I'm playing great.
The 31-year-old Scot - a two-time Wimbledon champion - will hope he gives a good account of himself against Wawrinka, who has reached the quarter-finals at the All England club twice, to commit himself to playing at Wimbledon which begins on July 2.
But crucially, Cilic saved a match point at 4-5 in the second set, with a thunderous service victor setting the stage for a thrilling tie-break.
As the set sped towards another tiebreaker, the pressure was beginning to tell on Kyrgios as he yelled "I can't focus".
"Last year I had a match point and couldn't convert it, this year it was Novak".
While Kyrgios will be frustrated, his level during the week augurs well for his Wimbledon prospects. "I was more kind of like chipping and trying to get it back in play, but it wasn't enough".
Paul McCartney Sings Carpool Karaoke With James Corden
After getting back in the vehicle - where Corden tried out a few classic Beatles looks, from the moptop wig to the Sgt. Sir Paul then climbed into the passenger seat and the pair broke into a version of The Beatles' classic Drive My Car .
In-form Chardy had won 12 of his previous 13 matches but the Frenchman was still left without a win - or even a set - against Djokovic after their 11th career meeting.
Neither player could impose himself on the other in the second until at 5-4 Djokovic forced a first match point, which was saved by a thumping service victor from the other end.
He has a 14-1 winning record over Cilic but might be second-favourite on Sunday with the Croatian in superb form.
"But I'm really happy that I'm able to play this way coming up to Wimbledon".
One thing is for sure, he certainly has the talent, but will he ever have the right mentality?
"It's special to play here and I've played great tennis throughout the week and it's great to have another shot at the title", the 2012 Queen's champion said.
For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.
- Donald Trump And Immigrant Girl Meet Face To Face On Time Cover
- U.S. Space Force: President Trump Proposes 6th Military Branch
- Trump signs order to end splitting of migrant families
- Trump calls for deporting illegal immigrants with 'no judges or court cases'
- Switzerland stuns Serbia with game winning goal in the 90th minute
- Supreme Court rules in favor of online sales tax
- What's that extra in my online cart? Soon, maybe a sales tax
- Chinese media say U.S. has 'paranoid delusions'
- The "nuclear option" of streaming reality: Ask Australia's Optus
- Luis Suarez Starts Up Front With Edinson Cavani In Uruguay Game