The clergyman then tells the child to: "calm down, calm down, you must calm down". The date and exact location of the incident remains unclear.
It is not known when the footage was filmed but it was captured in a church where the ceremony was conducted in French.
The man and woman are recorded attempting to pull the baby away from the priest. "Here. And then, we are going to embrace the little guy, because he will have become a little more Christian". I'll scream louder than you, OK?
The father struggles for a few seconds with the priest who refuses to let go and puts his hand over its face to muffle the cries. "So, calm down. Calm down". A woman can be heard saying something to the priest as the man, who appeared to be the father of the child, grabbed the crying toddler out of the clergyman's arms. There. You will calm down.
World Cup Group C
Having come close to taking the lead Peru were behind 10 minutes before the break with Mbappe scoring from close range. France qualified for the knockout stages of the World Cup with a 1-0 win over Peru in Yekaterinburg on Thursday.
People in the background of the video can reportedly be heard protesting the priests actions, making comments like "no no no", "sir, he is scared" and "that's not legal/allowed".
However, the priest is speaking French and the story appeared on a local news website of Martinique and Guadeloupe, French territories in the Caribbean Sea.
Two adults stood at the font, believed to be the young child's parents, are stunned and quickly try to wrestle the child away from the elderly religious man.
This is a representative image of a priest reading the gospel during a baptism in Greece, May 12, 2017.
- Google Launches Podcast Listening App on Android
- Instagram launches IGTV which can host content an hour long
- President approves Governor’s rule in Jammu and Kashmir with immediate effect
- Paul McCartney Sings Carpool Karaoke With James Corden
- In reversal, Trump signs order stopping family separation
- Polite Japan Fans Clean Stadium After World Cup Win
- Melania Trump enters debate over separation of migrant families
- Photo showing Melania Trump in 'don't care' jacket is real
- Sara Netanyahu charged with misuse of public funds in 'meals-ordering' affair
- Trump signs order to end splitting of migrant families