However, mining for cryptocurrency is only acceptable if "performed off-device", such as in the case of cloud-based mining.
In a separate clause on designing power efficient apps, the company said that "apps should not rapidly drain battery, generate excessive heat, or put unnecessary strain on device resources", adding that they "may not run unrelated background processes, such as cryptocurrency mining".
Apple has reviewed its app developer guidelines following an incident with the Calendar 2 app by Qbix in March. For instance, apps facilitating any exchange or transfer of cryptocurrencies like bitcoin were mandated to abide in compliance with all federal and relevant state laws of its offering.
Scientists find cheap way to convert Carbon dioxide into gasoline
IMAGINE DRIVING UP to your local gas station and being able to choose between regular, premium, or carbon-free gasoline. And a license to their tech. "This must change quickly if we are to fulfil the Paris agreement ", she explained .
The move allows US iPhone users to share their health record data with third-party apps from autumn.
Aside from banning crypto mining on its devices, Apple also outlined the general use of cryptocurrencies.
Apps may facilitate virtual currency storage, provided they are offered by developers enrolled as an organisation.
Calendar 2 was then pulled from the App Store and relaunched without the mining element.
Moreover, Apple will no longer allow reward-based crypto marketing with App Store listed apps. However, only official digital wallets providers and exchanges will be able to post their apps, potentially cutting out shady third-party software from facilitating cryptocurrency transactions. In a dedicated cryptocurrency section, the company goes on to break down in more detail what is - and, crucially, is not - permissible. One such addition explicitly forbids apps from offering 'currency for completing tasks, such as downloading other apps, encouraging other users to download, posting to social networks, etc'.
- China hosts Russia, Iran for summit as U.S. tensions rise
- Amazon's new Fire TV Cube turns Alexa into your remote
- E3 2018: Watch the Assassin’s Creed Odyssey trailer, gameplay footage
- Microsoft Sinks Data Center in the Sea to Meet Environmental Goals
- Putin says willing to meet Trump whenever US is ready
- Salah Arrives In Russia With Egypt Squad For World Cup
- Bourdain's death means loss of a voice for immigrant workers
- Ghana football boss resigns after being banned by FIFA
- Domino's new promotion offers to fill city's potholes
- State Department: Medical screenings 'ongoing' after mysterious incidents overseas