Thousands of residents have been evacuated from the area and lava spewing from the volcano's fissures have destroyed more than 100 structures since the first eruption a month ago.
There have been 500 quakes in the summit area of Kilauea in the last 24 hours, the highest rate ever measured at the summit area, according to Brian Shiro, supervisory geophysicist at the USCG Hawaiian Volcano Observatory.
The site marked the latest challenge facing authorities during what geologists call an unprecedented, simultaneous eruption at Kilauea's summit and from giant fissures 25 miles (40 km) down its eastern side. "Period", county spokeswoman Janet Snyder said.
The agency said there was no access along Highway 132 and Highway 137.
One of more than a dozen fissures in the earth's crust caused by the natural disaster, Fissure 8, continues to feed a half-mile-wide lava flow toward the ocean at a rate of 250 feet per hour, the USGS said Sunday.
Apple WWDC 2018: Livestream, India start time, how to watch, expectations, etc
In case you have a first-, second-, or fourth-generation Apple TV , you can watch the event at the Apple Events channel. Perhaps the biggest news will come in the form of iOS 12 which will be Apple's next big update for iPhones and iPads.
About two dozen recent fissures have appeared since the volcano began erupting on May 3, destroying dozens of homes. The lava from the Kilauea volcano has covered an area of 9 square kilometres - four times as big as New York's Central Park, according to USGS.
Another 2,000 people have been evacuated from the Leilani Estates subdivision, an area further west, where dozens of homes have been devoured or cut off by rivers of red-hot molten rock streaming over the landscape since May 3. The crew landed and confirmed the three people had no cellphone reception.
U.S. Geological Survey scientists say one fissure is still very active and is creating a lava fountain that reached 200 feet (60.96 meters).
Laze is formed when hot lava hits the ocean, reacts with sea water and sends hydrochloric acid and steam with fine glass particles in the air. Up to a dozen people made a decision to stay even after the area was evacuated. Police on Monday said a man sped through a checkpoint near an intersection where lava was approaching.
There have been various arrests of people forcing their way through blocked areas.
- Facebook to remove 'trending' news stories section following years of controversy
- Krispy Kreme is giving away 50,000 free doughnuts tomorrow
- Iran to support Russian efforts to bring south Syria under army control
- LeBron James obliterates Michael Jordan, Stephen Curry combined in single feat
- Capitals favored over Knights in Game 3 of Stanley Cup Final
- Damarious Randall Didn't Expect Cavaliers Jersey Tweet to Go Viral
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey Leaked, Takes Place in Ancient Greece
- Trump under fire for tweet about jobs report
- Afridi to lead ICC World XI
- No Malice Dishes On ‘Daytona’, Brother Pusha-T’s Beef With Drake