Western portions of the Carolinas have seen more than 20 inches in the past two weeks, the National Weather Service said. All campgrounds along the Catawba River have been evacuated, and significant flooding is occurring along the river.
Shelters were set up at two churches and a YMCA.
While the flash flood watch expires at 8 p.m., there will be little change on Thursday and Friday, with thick moisture remaining in place and somewhat warmer days in the 80s triggering numerous showers and storms, some of which could dump heavy rain.
Emergency responders also carried out at least 10 other water rescues and received reports of damage to homes, the extent of which wasn't immediately clear, Eggleston said.
Islamic Jihad announce Gaza ceasefire after mortar attacks on Israel
Michael said Hamas was in a hard position following weekly mass demonstrations at the Israel-Gaza border fence. Israeli cabinet minister Naftali Bennett, however, told Israel's Army Radio no agreement has been reached yet.
She said emergency personnel were notifying people who are camping around Lake James, and going door to door warning those about the potential situation.
The National Weather Service said a landslide "has compromised [sic] the integrity of Lake Tahoma Dam". Various Western North Carolina counties' emergency services were taking half-hourly readings of the river where it flows by residential areas, according to Matt Bush of Blue Ridge Public Radio in Asheville.
Alberto, the first named storm of a hurricane season that won't officially start until Friday, made landfall Monday west of Panama City on Florida's Gulf Coast, delivering heavy rains, surging seas and winds of 45 miles per hour.
In western North Carolina, journalists Mike McCormick and Aaron Smetzler were killed Sunday while covering the impact of heavy rain in the area for NBC affiliate WYFF. A search continued late Thursday afternoon for the second person, while farther north in Madison County, the sheriff's office said rescuers were searching for a female reported missing in water the night before. They include Lake Lure and Chimney Rock Village. Most of your stronger to severe thunderstorms will likely be in the heat of the day early this afternoon.
A swift water rescue team from Charlotte came to assist McDowell personnel on Wednesday. On Tuesday, there were flash flood watches issued for parts of Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky, where tornadoes were also a risk. A tree fell on their SUV as they covered the hazardous weather, the station said.
- Russian journalist faked death ‘after Russian spies ordered him dead’
- Ex-Piston Thomas: LeBron a 'much better' player than Jordan
- Priyanka Chopra's new boyfriend is the last person we would have guessed
- Trump Will Pardon Conservative Commentator Dinesh D’Souza
- New Mega Man 11 Trailer and Launch Details Revealed
- Sleeping in on weekends may extend your life, new study finds
- DONE DEAL? Man Utd meet buyout clause for Porto defender Diogo Dalot
- The Egyptian Forward Could be Fit for the FIFA World Cup 2018
- How much will Roseanne Barr lose after racist tweet scandal?
- Apple Officially Releases iOS 11.4 with AirPlay 2, Messages in iCloud