"Well, unless you've got an owner under penalty of perjury testifying that he changed his mind after he was told what Trump said", replies Geragos.
Under the new policy, players can choose to stay in the locker room during the playing of the national anthem, but if they come out on the field they must "stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem".
Still, the surfacing of the depositions is a reminder of how the anthem protests and the potential as a political powder keg they represent, is unlikely to go away, despite a new policy from the league requiring players on the field to stand for the anthem.
Several NFL team owners, including Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross both acknowledged that Trump's coming out against the protests affected their own positions in sworn testimony related for former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick's grievance filed against the NFL. Teams have the option of levying fines against individual players if they demonstrate.
"This is a very winning, strong issue for me", Trump reportedly said in a call with Jones.
The deposition of Jones and Ross came in response to a grievance filed by Colin Kaepernick against the National Football League after the quarterback remained unsigned through the 2017 season.
Taiwan squeezed as Beijing and Burkina Faso start diplomatic ties
The government of Burkina Faso promises it will have neither official relations nor official exchanges with Taiwan, it said. Taiwan lost one diplomatic ally in the eight previous years under a KMT administration that supported the "1992 consensus".
Trump last week said "the people" were the driving force. "If somebody [on the Jets] takes a knee, that fine will be borne by the organization, by me, not the players". Do I prefer that they stand?
But Jones was reluctant to give Trump too much credit for influencing the league... The lawsuit says they have "have colluded to deprive Mr. Kaepernick of employment rights in retaliation for Mr. Kaepernick's leadership and advocacy for equality and social justice and his bringing awareness to peculiar institutions still undermining racial equality in the United States".
Jones added that not all credit for the new policy should be attributed to Trump.
The NFL declined to comment on the deposition, citing confidentiality rules of the grievance.
Bob Glauber has covered the National Football League since 1985 and has been Newsday's National Football League columnist since 1992.
- Fallout 76 Announced by Bethesda Softworks
- Prominent Russian journalist and Russia critic was just shot dead in Kyiv
- American Imprisoned in Venezuela is Feted at White House Following His Release
- DONE DEAL? Man Utd meet buyout clause for Porto defender Diogo Dalot
- Kim Jong-un impersonator Howard X arrives in Singapore
- Priyanka Chopra's new boyfriend is the last person we would have guessed
- Philippines: Beijing Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea A 'Red Line'
- Apple Officially Releases iOS 11.4 with AirPlay 2, Messages in iCloud
- Consumer Reports recommends Tesla's Model 3 after braking fix
- Lewis Hamilton doubts Daniel Ricciardo will join him at Mercedes