The authors from Stockholm's Karolinska Institute tracked the sleep of more than 43,000 people for 13 years from 1997. The latest study, published last week in the Journal of Sleep Research, address the association of both weekday and weekend sleep duration with overall mortality.
When, instead, different combinations of weekday and weekend sleep durations were analysed, we observed a detrimental association with consistently sleeping ≤5 hr (hazard ratios 1.65; 95% confidence intervals 1.22-2.23) or ≥8 hr (hazard ratios 1.25; 95% confidence intervals 1.05-1.50), compared with consistently sleeping 6-7 hr per day (reference). This study was not an experiment, Akerstedt emphasized, and these data can not show that short or long sleep is responsible for higher mortality.
"This is in effect an argument for lazing around all weekend".
Not in the new study.
IPL 2018: 5 players who looked quite older than their real age
The Australian along with Suresh Raina (32) forged a 117-run match-winning partnership to put Chennai ahead of their opponents. Thus, the IPL 2018 finale is not likely to experience any weather hindrance as the chances of rain are not during the match.
But weekend snoozers lived just as long as the well-slept. Lack of sleep can have dire consequences for your health. We can't deposit zzzs over the weekend and expect to cash them out later. For the sleep-deprived, sleeping in on a weekend is like eating a salad after a series of hamburger dinners - healthier, sure, but from "one perspective the damage is done".
Interestingly, people who slept too much, regularly hitting the hay for eight hours or longer a night, also had a worse mortality rate.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends adults aged 18-60 get at least seven hours of sleep per night.
Self-reporting may be considered a limitation of the study, but researchers note it's a practical way to accumulate large-scale data.
"I think people like the idea that you can compensate for lost sleep", Åkerstedt said. "It's a fuzzy picture that's true", he said.
- Philippines: Beijing Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea A 'Red Line'
- After Iran speech, will Tehran seek to test Pompeo?
- Former Houston Rockets' star Mario Elie kicks off Game 7
- Will Power finally wins the Indy 500
- Kim Jong-un impersonator Howard X arrives in Singapore
- 'It's Killing' Kyrie Irving Not to Play in Eastern Conference Finals
- Sebastian, Vero Beach to get minimal impact from Tropical Storm Alberto
- Harvey Weinstein charged with rape, sex abuse and other crimes
- Cavs vs. Celtics: Score, updates, highlights from Game 6 of East finals
- Taiwan squeezed as Beijing and Burkina Faso start diplomatic ties