The authors from Stockholm's Karolinska Institute tracked the sleep of more than 43,000 people for 13 years from 1997. The latest study, published last week in the Journal of Sleep Research, address the association of both weekday and weekend sleep duration with overall mortality.
When, instead, different combinations of weekday and weekend sleep durations were analysed, we observed a detrimental association with consistently sleeping ≤5 hr (hazard ratios 1.65; 95% confidence intervals 1.22-2.23) or ≥8 hr (hazard ratios 1.25; 95% confidence intervals 1.05-1.50), compared with consistently sleeping 6-7 hr per day (reference). This study was not an experiment, Akerstedt emphasized, and these data can not show that short or long sleep is responsible for higher mortality.
"This is in effect an argument for lazing around all weekend".
Not in the new study.
Philip Roth's five most important books
Roth was born March 19, 1933 in Newark, and was raised in the city's Weequahic neighborhood, wedged between Routes 78 and 22. He first achieved fame for his 1969 novel " Portnoy's Complaint ", about a horny teenager named Alexander Portnoy.
But weekend snoozers lived just as long as the well-slept. Lack of sleep can have dire consequences for your health. We can't deposit zzzs over the weekend and expect to cash them out later. For the sleep-deprived, sleeping in on a weekend is like eating a salad after a series of hamburger dinners - healthier, sure, but from "one perspective the damage is done".
Interestingly, people who slept too much, regularly hitting the hay for eight hours or longer a night, also had a worse mortality rate.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends adults aged 18-60 get at least seven hours of sleep per night.
Self-reporting may be considered a limitation of the study, but researchers note it's a practical way to accumulate large-scale data.
"I think people like the idea that you can compensate for lost sleep", Åkerstedt said. "It's a fuzzy picture that's true", he said.
- 'It's Killing' Kyrie Irving Not to Play in Eastern Conference Finals
- Sebastian, Vero Beach to get minimal impact from Tropical Storm Alberto
- Lava Threatens Israeli Company's Power Station in Hawaii
- Toll in aftermath of Cyclone Mekunu rises to 6 in Oman
- Vegas Golden Knights to host scavenger hunt for tickets
- Former Houston Rockets' star Mario Elie kicks off Game 7
- Israeli forces kill three Palestinian militants in strike on observation post
- Steve Kerr on Chris Paul injury
- American Imprisoned in Venezuela is Feted at White House Following His Release
- IPL 2018: 5 players who looked quite older than their real age