Taiwan's air force has scrambled aircraft as Chinese bombers flew around the self-ruled island, just a few hours after Taiwan vowed not to be cowed despite losing another diplomatic ally amid growing Chinese pressure.
Under its One-China policy, China refuses to maintain diplomatic relations with any nation that recognizes Taiwan, a self-governed island off its southeastern coast which Beijing considers an integral part of its territory.
"The evolution of the world and the defined socio-economic challenges of our region required us to reconsider our position", Burkina Faso's foreign affairs minister, Alpha Barry, told journalists.
Taiwan has accused China of using dollar diplomacy to lure away its allies, promising generous aid packages, charges China has denied.
The minister also announced the immediate closure of Taiwan's embassy in Ouagadougou and the repatriation of Burkina Faso's diplomats from Taiwan.
The government of Burkina Faso promises it will have neither official relations nor official exchanges with Taiwan, it said.
Speaking to a news conference filled with local journalists, Mr. Moy praised the increased closeness between the United States and Taiwan in recent years.
Jim Rogers: US Govt Keeping Me From Investing in North Korea
Libya's longtime autocratic leader Moammar Gadhafi was killed several years later after a Western-backed military intervention. But the North unexpectedly pulled out of planned peace talks with South Korea last week, objecting to U.S.
Taiwan Foreign Minister Joseph Wu told university students in Taipei that Taiwan needed allies to give it a voice on the global stage, as the island was excluded from most forums like the United Nations due to China's objections.
Taiwan lost one diplomatic ally in the eight previous years under a KMT administration that supported the "1992 consensus".
China is Africa's largest trade partner, with massive investments in mining, construction and banking, although it has been less active to date in Burkina.
Barry said a delegation of Chinese experts would visit in the coming days to assess the county's needs for development assistance, hopefully in time for an agreement by September when President Roch Marc Kabore would be in Beijing for a summit between China and African leaders.
Relations with China are "no longer serving USA interests", said William Stanton, who headed the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) - the USA de-facto embassy in Taipei - from 2009 to 2012.
Burkina Faso had terminated relations with Taipei first in 1973 but restored them in 1994.
- Battlefield 5 lands in October, will do away with the 'premium pass'
- 'Bigger Than Watergate!': Trump Thinks the FBI Spied on His Campaign
- Ariana Grande Sends Love To Fans On Manchester Bombing Anniversary
- Patrick McCaw receives big cheers in first game since back injury
- Bats found dead: Has Nipah Virus reached Himachal Pradesh?
- IN student asked to be excused, returned with 2 handguns and fired
- Cavs vs. Celtics: Score, updates, highlights from Game 6 of East finals
- Is the Mueller probe costing $20 million, as Donald Trump says?
- Israeli forces kill three Palestinian militants in strike on observation post
- Will Power finally wins the Indy 500