The vehicles are equipped with advanced LIDAR tools, along with several cameras to sense the entire driving environment.
The tight-lipped tech giant has rapidly built up its self-driving auto program, known as Project Titan, since gaining a testing permit in April of a year ago. Leading the pack is GM with 104 vehicles, while Waymo is in third place with 51 cars. After starting with a secret operation to build a self-driving auto codenamed Project Titan in 2014, the project fell apart in two years. However, those numbers may be somewhat misleading, since other companies are testing their self-driving fleet in other parts of the U.S.as well. MacReports first reported some of the new details of Apple's fleet.
Tesla bursts into flames after fatal crash in Switzerland
Tesla has said that autopilot requires constant vigilance and is not meant to take over driving responsibilities. The company said that total Model 3 production was 9,766 for the quarter and that it delivered 8,180 cars.
We do know that the autonomous auto scene is heating up - Tesla and Drive.Ai are lagging behind Apple, but fellow California-native GM Cruise leads the pack with 104 vehicles with self-driving capacity.
Apple had a tortuous path with the self-driving auto technology. Apple CEO Tim Cook has called self-driving "a core technology that we view as very important". "It's probably one of the most hard AI projects actually to work on", Cook said last summer.
But driverless auto permits may soon be issued by the DMV; after the DMV's Office of Administrative Law approved the driverless testing regulations in February, the DMV was able to approve applications for driverless vehicle permits starting on April 2.
- Slain trooper to be honored at Peace Officers Memorial
- CIA Director's Confirmation in Doubt as Sen. McCain Cites "Disturbing" Torture Role
- Tuesday is voting day on school district budgets
- 70 officers and deputies escort fallen cop's son back to school
- Trivia Tuesday: NBA Lottery picks from non-power schools
- U.S. wishes Muslims peaceful, blessed Ramadan
- Hamilton storms to Spanish GP victory
- Rage 2 Gameplay Trailer is here, The Wasteland is One Crazy Drug!
- Facebook's AI makes little headway in the fight against hate speech
- Andy Samberg wants celeb fans to guest star on 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'