Responding to media coverage of the accident, Musk tweeted: "it's super messed up that a Tesla crash resulting in a broken ankle is front page news and the ~40,000 people who died in USA auto accidents alone in past year get nearly no coverage".
According to the Associated Press, the accident occurred in South Jordan, Utah, on Friday evening, when a Tesla Model S saloon travelling at 60mph collided with the back of a fire engine that had stopped at a red light. "An impact at that speed usually results in severe injury or death", the CEO tweeted.
The National Transportation Safety Board said it was not investigating the Utah crash, and Tesla said it had not yet received vehicle data and did not yet know the facts, including whether Autopilot was engaged.
The driver of the fire truck was evaluated for whiplash but was not hospitalized.
Meanwhile, Tesla is being investigated by the transport safety authorities for a crash, during which, the driver said, the Autopilot feature was on. The company said that total Model 3 production was 9,766 for the quarter and that it delivered 8,180 cars.
The NTSB and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration are also looking into the performance of the company's Autopilot system in the March crash of a Tesla Model X on a California highway.
Though Tesla - and the self-driving auto industry - certainly has a red target on its back as of late, Musk is confident that advanced technology and more diligent work will improve his company's system.
How to See, Close & Interact with Open Apps in Android P
Google in the I/O 2018 announced that a new Smart Displays with Assistant built in is going to start it shipments from July. Google has been adding new features to its own virtual helper on a semi-regular basis to offer much-improved UI.
Mr Schwall was the electric carmaker's main technical contact with U.S. safety investigators.
Musk said in Monday's email Tesla would still rapidly hire people to fill critical positions "to support the Model 3 production ramp and future product development".
Mr Musk said during a conference call earlier this month that the company was going to conduct sort of a reorganisation restructuring.
Witnesses said the Tesla did not brake prior to impact.
In a world in which Elon Musk found himself with increasingly fewer friends, one thing was certain: Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas, always eager for that lead left spot in the next Tesla convertible, would stick with Tesla and Musk through thick and thin, no matter what. It was unknown at the time of the accident whether the driver was operating on the Autopilot feature.
Tesla has said that autopilot requires constant vigilance and is not meant to take over driving responsibilities.
- Militants from Pakistan responsible for Mumbai 26/11 attacks: Nawaz Sharif
- Manchester City's record breaking season by the numbers
- Pakistan played a role in 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks: Nawaz Sharif
- Global Markets: Oil soars after Trump dumps Iran nuclear deal, stocks gain
- NASA's Mars 2020 Rover Mission Will Be Accompanied By The Mar's Helicopter
- Karnataka registers 72.13 % turnout, better than last election in 2013
- Golden Knights Kind Of Looking Forward To Opening On The Road
- Korea says taking 'technical measures' to dismantle nuclear test site
- Britons kidnapped in DR Congo gorilla sanctuary 'relieved' to be released
- SC collegium reiterates Justice KM Joseph's name for elevation to SC