Tottenham is two points above fourth-place Liverpool.
Meyer is out of contract this summer, with his Schalke deal running down and a new challenge seemingly inevitable but, with his pick of clubs given his innate talent and his potential, the young German is not going to move to a side where he needs to fight tooth and nail just for a few minutes on the field.
Newcastle created the better chances before the break, but they were denied by the post and Hugo Lloris. "We can be proud of our season".
It was a fourth consecutive defeat for Newcastle, who secured Premier League status with a 2-1 win over Arsenal last month.
"We did really well, 14 attempts against Tottenham at home, means that something we did was right", he said.
"I want to say "thank-you" to the players, first of all, because they have worked so hard to achieve this and big congratulations to our staff and everyone at Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. We have showed everybody that we are humble but we are ambitious".
Club Puts Iniesta's Move To China On Hold
He joined the club's famed La Masia academy as a 12-year-old, before rising through the ranks and becoming the legend he is today.
Pep Guardiola's men also bid farewell to Yaya Toure in the Ivorian's final home game in City colours.
At the Etihad, champions Manchester City added three more records to a sensational season by breaking the previous best Premier League marks for wins, points and goals in a 3-1 victory over Brighton.
"It's never easy when you have the pressure to win and play against a team that is free to run and make mistakes and play so deep, like Newcastle".
Leroy Sane bagged a hat-trick of assists for City as Danilo opened the scoring before a Leonardo Ulloa's header into an unguarded goal from a Davy Propper cross restored parity for the visitors.
The Tottenham legend revealed his pride at seeing Tottenham confirm their participation in the Champions League and believes it is more significant as they played all their home games at Wembley.
Since winning 3-1 and 4-3 at Arsenal and Leeds United respectively in the space of four days in December 2001, Newcastle have won one of their 51 away Premier League matches against sides starting the day in the top four (D8 L42), a 1-0 win at Arsenal in November 2010.
Kelechi Iheanacho rifled the Foxes into a 14th-minute, while 92 seconds later Gunners centre-half Konstantinos Mavropanos was sent off for hauling down the striker.
- Rockets-Warriors Tickets Are Most Expensive For Conference Final This Decade
- Tiger Woods grouped with Phil Mickelson and Rickie Fowler at Players Championship
- Claims against Schneiderman follow common pattern in domestic abuse
- President Sarkissian meets with newly elected PM Pashinyan
- Patience is 15th club for Jordan Spieth in Players Championship
- California's new homes to have solar by 2020; SunRun shares jump
- Kris Jenner reveals Khloe Kardashian is struggling with breastfeeding
- Pence to announce new Venezuela sanctions in speech on Monday: aide
- Father-son duo held for duping exporter
- Goalie Makes 94 Saves In Longest Game in AHL History