Two of them were found hours later conscious but hurt, while rescuers continued their search for the other five missing miners.
Rescue teams have confirmed the death of a second Polish coal miner and are searching for three more trapped almost a kilometer underground after a quake, the chief executive of the mine owner said.
Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki visited the hospitalized miners Saturday night and met with their families.
Rescue teams have confirmed the death of one Polish coal miner and can see another miner trapped after an quake, but three others are still missing, the chief executive of mine owner JSW, Daniel Ozon, said.
Rescuers have not been able to establish communication with any of three other missing men, Ozon said, adding that rescuers were building ventilation shafts to dispel high levels of methane hindering their efforts.
Two had been rescued by mid-afternoon, and one was found late on Saturday but showed no signs of life, the deputy chief executive of the mine owner JSW, Tomasz Sledz, told reporters.
Rescue workers race to save 5 missing coal miners in Poland
So far this year, four miners have been killed at different coal mines, according to the State Mining Authority.
Ozon said the rescuers have also located another of the miners stuck 900 meters (2,950 feet) underground.
Polish rescue workers on Sunday found the bodies of two miners after an quake hit a coal mine in southern Poland. The miner had been immobilized under a few metal.
Daniel Ozon, head of the Jastrzebie Coal Co., said they could see the third miner and had contact with him, but they still needed to reach him.
A woman cries outside the Zofiowka coal mine in Jastrzebie-Zdroj in southern Poland, where several miners were reported missing following a powerful natural disaster, May 5, 2018.
The rescue began at 11:25 a.m. Saturday after a quake hit the Zofiowka coal mine in the town of Jastrzebie-Zdroj near Poland's border with the Czech Republic.
Chelsea close on top four with win over Liverpool
For this reason, I think that to win the Champions League you must be more lucky. "We are getting three points in every game". Olivier Giroud's victor , headed home before half time, puts Chelsea two points behind Tottenham and three off Liverpool .
- Stormy Daniels Hits the Town After 'SNL' Cameo
- NASA's Mars InSight TAKES OFF in first interplanetary launch from California
- Iran-backed Hezbollah, Allies Set for Major Gains in Lebanese Election
- IPhone 2018 - iPhone 9 to iPhone 11 What We Know So Far
- What Will Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress Look Like?
- Favorite Justify wins Kentucky Derby on wettest race day
- Imperial Capital Lowers Southwest Airlines (LUV) Price Target to $68.00
- Unemployment Rate Edges Down After 6 Months At 4.1%
- Trump Shows Sympathy for Manafort After Judge Questions Case
- Tesla's Model Y Set for a New Factory and 'manufacturing revolution'