As Glover was hosting the show, he simultaneously released a mind-blowing video for "This is America", one of the new tracks he performed on the show as Childish Gambino. Theories about what it all means have started stacking up.
"This is America" is the most powerful and pointed reality check in the form of a music video, since Kendrick Lamar - standing upon a graffiti-covered police auto with a threadbare American flag waving in the background - so beautifully articulated in his seminal 2015 album, To Pimp a Butterfly, the preeminent protest song of our generation - "Alright". The visual, which takes aim at the country's ongoing issue with gun violence, begins with a man picking up a guitar before playing it while sitting on a chair.
The powerful song, a commentary on gun violence in America, is Donald Glover's first single since 2017's Terrified, off his Grammy-nominated 2016 album Awaken, My Love! .
Donald Glover had quite the weekend.
What else would one expect to see in a music video by a famous rapper titled "This is America"?
Tesla's Model Y Set for a New Factory and 'manufacturing revolution'
The gaffe could be especially painful as Tesla might need to jump back into the capital markets to subsidize Model 3 production. Tesla shares are up 1.1% in Friday trading but off 3.3% over the past 12 months, while the S&P 500 has gained 10%.
The imagery also has sparked conversation about several other themes including police brutality, social media and what people are really paying attention to in the United States.
In the middle of their glossy video, the rap trio are sitting in a therapy session with Dr. Angela Anderson, played by Cicely Strong.
"This is America" premiered after Glover hosted the parody show Saturday Night Live on May 5.
On Sunday, the singer Instagrammed some photos of herself on set.
Before Glover charmed America with his monologue, the stars came out for a Trump-verse cold open filled with great guest appearances.
- Iran-backed Hezbollah, Allies Set for Major Gains in Lebanese Election
- HL Financial Services LLC Has $4.23 Million Position in Southwest Airlines (LUV)
- Unemployment Rate Edges Down After 6 Months At 4.1%
- Mets to part ways with struggling Harvey
- Mendelssohn bids for racing history in Kentucky Derby at 11.50pm
- Savills plc (LON:SVS) Analyst Ratings as of May 6, 2018
- Favorite Justify wins Kentucky Derby on wettest race day
- Fresh Earthquake In Hawaii Forces People From Their Homes
- Imperial Capital Lowers Southwest Airlines (LUV) Price Target to $68.00
- IPhone 2018 - iPhone 9 to iPhone 11 What We Know So Far