Alderson said Harvey's tenure faced "a very unfortunate and hard conclusion, not really of his own making".
Under the rules of Major League Baseball, New York has seven days to either trade or release Harvey, who's been with the Mets for the previous five seasons. As a player with five years of major league service, he can not be assigned to the minor leagues without his consent. As far as the boos go, the Mets aren't doing Harvey any favors.
Callaway says he wanted Harvey to try to rebuild himself in the minors, as Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee famously did in the past. "I think our job is to help every player, and it's not a good feeling when you can't".
Harvey has a 6.77 ERA in 119 2/3 innings combined between this year and last.
Air National Guard C-130 carrying 9 involved in deadly crash
It was flying from the coastal city of Savannah, Georgia to Tucson, Arizona, where it was to be decommissioned. The Savannah Professional Firefighters Association said it was a C-130 airplane, a military cargo aircraft.
Selected by the Mets with the seventh overall pick in the 2010 amateur draft, Harvey made his big league debut in July 2012 and became a major sports figure in NY - both at the ballpark and at Manhattan night spots. He underwent Tommy John surgery late in 2013, costing him the entire 2014 season. In his first 36 big-league starts, spanning the 2012-13 seasons, he posted a 2.39 ERA and earned the nickname "The Dark Knight".
Asked earlier this week about reports that Harvey had been partying in Los Angeles the night before a start in San Diego, Alderson simply remarked that he wasn't surprised in the slightest.
"We met with him about 3:15 (p.m. ET) today and we told him to take time to talk to his agent but it wasn't open-ended", Alderson detailed to reporters. "So I guess the short answer is no".
Harvey, who was one of the National League's best pitchers through three seasons, has suffered a major drop-off over the last three years while dealing with various injuries.
The fans at Citi Field weren't the only ones critical of Harvey.
- Cavs vs. Raptors Live Stream
- Model 3 bottlenecks cause Tesla to burn more than just rubber
- Gas Prices Shooting Up Across Chicagoland
- Trump Shows Sympathy for Manafort After Judge Questions Case
- China installs missile systems on Philippine-claimed reefs
- Golden State Killer suspect fights DNA collection effort
- Tesla's Model Y Set for a New Factory and 'manufacturing revolution'
- Fresh Earthquake In Hawaii Forces People From Their Homes
- Adidas Avoids Criticizing Kanye West for His Slavery Remarks
- Mantashe lashes Sibanye after four miners die