Now recently NASA had released a chart of NEOs that are in a position to pass the earth in future using the CNEOs software. The orbit appears to extend to the inner part of the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.
The 2018 GE3 is roughly 3.6 times the size of the one that impacted Earth in Russia's Tunguska region in 1908. "2018 GE3 was found less than a day before its closest approach", said the report.
'Hours later, amateur astronomer Michael Jäger of Weißenkirchen Austria video-recorded the space rock gliding through the southern constellation Serpens'. That's about three to six times wider than the space rock that penetrated the Earth's atmosphere in 2013 and exploded over the city of Chelyabinsk in Russian Federation, packing 20 to 30 times the energy of the Hiroshima atomic bomb, notes EarthSky.
This particular asteroid was not just larger that the one that struck Tunguska, it was estimated to produced 185 times more energy than the Hiroshima atomic bomb, a report in space.com said.
Superintendent: 3 Students Hurt in Knife Incident at Pleasantview
Watkins says he believes the injuries aren't life-threatening, and the students were taken to the hospital by their parents. School officials say they will work with the family of the attacker and law enforcement in dealing with the incident.
According to ScienceAlert, 2018 GE3 buzzed by at a speed of 106,000 kilometers per hour (66,000 miles per hour), and would have caused some serious damage had it collided with our planet. However, an asteroid this size is capable of causing some regional damage, depending on various factors such as composition, speed, entry angle, and location of impact.
SURPRISE ASTEROID FLYBY: With little warning, a relatively large asteroid flew through the Earth-Moon system on April...
That's significantly smaller than the 2018 GE3 asteroid.
Just a day after being discovered dangerously close and approaching Earth, an asteroid, potentially capable of causing significant damage, has darted past our planet almost missing it on an astronomical scale.
- Ronaldo can not understand Juventus penalty protests
- US Cuts off ZTE From American Tech Suppliers
- Unnao rape case: BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh claims was in Kanpur
- Sean Hannity disputes Michael Cohen claim he was a client
- Sunday's National Basketball Association roundup: Pacers get the jump on Cavaliers
- Airstrike to cripple Syria's chemical weapons: Pentagon Agencies
- Facebook sued over facial recognition technology
- Romaine From Yuma Linked to E-Coli
- Former First Lady Barbara Bush is in failing health
- Advertising chief Sir Martin Sorrell steps down after 33 years