Barbara Bush has 17 grandchildren of her own (and seven great grandchildren), but so many more felt a connection to the white-haired lady who always seemed to exude good humor and class.
Jim McGrath, a family spokesman, said that after being admitted to hospital several times she had decided "not to seek additional medical treatment and will instead focus on comfort care". Bush stood with her husband as their son George W. was sworn in as president. He's the nation's 41st leader and has also suffered health issues, spending a period in intensive care for pneumonia a year ago.
They've spent many summers in the Kennebunkport community and across the state through the Barbara Bush Children's Hospital at Maine Medical Center and beyond. It was a way of combining two of her passions - kids and literacy.
With hair that had turned white prematurely, Bush was known by family members as the "Silver Fox".
Since its in inception, the foundation has gone on to raise and contribute more than $50 million towards establishing and expanding more than 1500 literacy programs for underprivileged children and families in cities all across America.
The statement release Sunday read, " After consulting her family and doctors, Mrs. She and George H.W. Bush married when she was 19 and while he was a young naval aviator.
She first met her husband-to-be at the age of 16; she was a schoolgirl and he was a student at an elite preparatory school in MA. "Today, our thoughts and prayers turn to the Bush family during this hard time".
Snapshot of Commonwealth Games day 10
The fact that all of the judges gave 10-9 in favour of Clarke at the end of each rounds underlines the tightly fought bout. The Indian lost the third round but did just enough in the first two to walk away with a gold medal on debut at the Games.
The Bushes have long ties to Maine.
In 2011, the town of Kennebunkport dedicated a garden in her honor. Another son, Jeb Bush, was governor of Florida and unsuccessfully ran for president in 2016. "I hope you know how much this means to me".
The news about Barbara Bush's health is developing. "Everybody liked her because she was kind of the salt of the earth, as I remember".
Their first daughter, Robin, died of leukemia at age 3 and is buried at the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum in College Station, Texas.
Eight years after she and her husband left the White House, Mrs. I'm undecided God will acknowledge me; I've so many new physique elements!
"Also, George Bush has given me the world", she continued. "He is the best - thoughtful and loving". That abiding faith has been necessary over the last few years, for both her health and that of former President George H.W. Bush.
- Ice storm warning for Hamilton, Burlington, Niagara
- Henderson retains LPGA Hawaii event lead
- Telegram's lawyer slams blocking in Russian Federation as violation of rights and freedoms
- Taliban attacks Afghan district compound; at least 18 killed
- BJP Fast: Congress demands Parliament be reconvened to debate and legislate
- Sunday's National Basketball Association roundup: Pacers get the jump on Cavaliers
- WWE Announces New Opponent For The Undertaker At Greatest Royal Rumble
- Syrians defy strikes; gather in Damascus squares waving Russian, Iran flags
- Trump lawyer arranged GOP fund-raiser's payment to former Playboy Playmate
- Judge Extends Evidence Deadline For Cohen Team On Attorney-Client Privilege