Syria's air defence system, which mostly consists of systems made in the Soviet Union, has intercepted 71 of the missiles fired on Saturday by the US, British and French forces, he added.
"I ordered the United States armed forces to launch precision strikes on targets associated with the chemical weapon capabilities of Syrian dictator of Bashar al-Assad", Trump said from the White House Diplomatic Reception Room. "Mission Accomplished!" he declared.
"This collective action sends a clear message that the worldwide community will not stand by and tolerate the use of chemical weapons", May said at a press conference, calling the military action "right and legal". "We are prepared to sustain this response until the Syrian regime stops its use of prohibited chemical agents".
Two US officials said attacks could continue beyond tonight, with a senior administration official saying "this isn't over".
The MLB All-Star Game is Coming to LA in 2020
Dodger Stadium is one of our iconic stadiums and it's particularly appropriate that we bring an All-Star Game here. He narrated a short video for the Dodgers below to announce that Dodger Stadium will host the 2020 All-Star Game.
Mr. Assad's key ally Iran also slammed the attack, with supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei describing Western leaders as "criminals". Syrian air defenses responded to the joint strikes by the United States, France and Britain.
Freeland did not specify how she knew that the Syrian government was responsible, though she said Canada is working with non-governmental organizations and others to collect evidence of war crimes and other atrocities in Syria.
"Right now this is a one-time shot", US Secretary of Defense James Mattis said, but did not rule out further attacks.
Facilities still remain operational with the capability to contribute to continued development of chemical weapons, but the United States military insist a "severe blow" has been dealt.
Still, the strikes Friday risk drawing the USA deeper into the Syrian conflict, and could further heighten tensions between the US and Russian Federation, which threatened earlier in the week to shoot down any US missiles launched at the Syrian government. He said Russian Federation is calling for an immediate U.N. Security Council meeting to discuss the "aggressive actions" of the US and its allies.
- US Budget Deficit to Surpass $1 Trillion by 2020
- United Kingdom accuses Russian Federation of spying on Sergei Skripal for five years
- Volkswagen to replace HR chief with Gunnar Kilian -…
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson Plays Nigerian Character In New Movie
- Committee Retires Four 2017 Hurricane Names
- Pep Guardiola: Manchester City could still blow Premier League title
- Trump now backs marijuana 'states rights' bill, senator says
- Trump Targets a Postal Service Rainmaker: Package Delivery
- 'Trump was right' McMaster offers troops to patrol Texas border
- 49ers player Reuben Foster accused of attacking girlfriend, rupturing her eardrum