Several militants were also killed and wounded during the gun battle, but their number could not be exactly specified as the militants evacuated their casualties after the fighting, according to the report. The province is reportedly under Taliban control.
Rahmani said the Taliban planted mines to stop reinforcements from coming to help the government forces fend off the attack.
Zabihullah Mujahid, the spokesman for the Taliban, claimed responsibility for the attack in Paktia in a text message sent to the media. The district centre, however, is still in government hands.
"In the attack, three mujahideen were martyred and four others were wounded".
The attack was the deadliest by the Taliban for several weeks. "After the attack the forces called for air support and 27 Taliban were killed during the airstrikes and clashes", it added.
Two armored Humvees were destroyed in the attack in Shindand district, Farhad said.
Ramaphosa apologises to Winnie for not getting Isithwalandwe honour
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa said her death unified people across political divide and beyond the country's borders. When we lost our loved ones, when people were in pain, overcome with anger, prone to violence, she came to touch our wounds.
The province of Ghazni is located south of Kabul lying along a key route. Travel by road between the capital and southern Kandahar province, a traditional Taleban heartland, is considered risky because of large swaths that are now under insurgent control.
Provincial officials said on April 12 that police and intelligence officers were also among those killed in the overnight raid on the Khwaja Omari district headquarters in Ghazni Province.
He said that 14 people including the governor were killed in the district itself, and that the Taliban then ambushed a relief force as it was leaving the provincial capital of Ghazni City, killing six police officers.
Around 45 insurgents were also killed and several others wounded, he said, adding: "Taliban have set alight the district office complex, but reinforcement arrived at the district and now the situation under control".
The new agencies based in Kabul have expressed their inability to confirm the casualty figures because of the remoteness of the area.
- Mother-Daughter Day: Kylie Jenner, Stormi Wear Matching Outfits For Midday Stroll
- Trump now backs marijuana 'states rights' bill, senator says
- IPL 2018: Kolkata Knight Riders Vs Sunrisers Hyderabad Match Preview And Prediction
- Sega Mega Drive Mini announced in Japan
- Pep Guardiola: Manchester City could still blow Premier League title
- United Kingdom accuses Russian Federation of spying on Sergei Skripal for five years
- Kentucky legislature overrides governor's vetoes of budget, revenue bills
- U.S. launches 'precision srikes' on Syria as UK, France join in
- Southampton 2-3 Chelsea: 5 Talking Points
- Nicki Minaj Tears Up Over Cardi B: She 'Really Hurt My Feelings'