The Santa Clara County District Attorney said Foster was charged Thursday and is scheduled to be arraigned later in the day in San Jose.
The team released a statement more than an hour after Foster was formally charged.
Kevin Smith, deputy district attorney in the family violence unit, said the charges "underscore how serious we take all domestic violence in this county", noting that the Foster case is just one of almost 5,000 domestic violence cases his office handles each year.
District Attorney's office has charged 49ers LB Reuben Foster with three felonies after a February incident with his live-in girlfriend.
Foster faces a misdemeanor charge of possession of a large capacity weapon magazine. Smith said, "We only hope that this case illuminates the tragic regularity of the rest".
Foster is accused of attacking his girlfriend, allegedly dragging her by the hair through his house, throwing her out and hitting her on the head a number of times and leaving her with bruises and a ruptured eardrum.
US Budget Deficit to Surpass $1 Trillion by 2020
On Monday the Congressional Budget Office said the bill was partially responsible for a large increase in the deficit. CBO director Keith Hall warns that rising debt raises the chance of a fiscal crisis in the years ahead.
Officials found a Sig Sauer 516 and large-capacity magazine in the home; both are illegal to possess in California. "We will continue to follow this serious matter". According to the DA, he is facing more than 11 years in prison if convicted and could still be suspended by the National Football League if charges are avoided.
The arrest was Foster's second of the offseason; he was detained in Alabama for alleged marijuana possession in January. "Reuben is aware that his place in our organization is under great scrutiny and will depend on what is learned through the legal process".
Rapoport may not expect Foster to be in attendance for the team's offseason program, but Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area feels differently.
However, Foster has been unable to shake the off-field incidents which were a significant factor in him falling in the draft.
- 'Trump was right' McMaster offers troops to patrol Texas border
- Iranian forces among 14 killed in strike on Syria air base: monitor
- Nicki Minaj Courtside at Lakers For Andre Ingram's Insane Debut
- Who Is Masazo Nonaka? Japanese Man Confirmed As World's Oldest Male
- U.S. approves $300mn guided missile deal with Qatar
- Saudis intercept missile over Riyadh, shoot down drones in south
- Severe concussion in your 20s increases risk of dementia, study warns
- Volkswagen to replace HR chief with Gunnar Kilian -…
- Man accused of telling woman he has 'full-blown AIDS' before raping her
- Maharashtra: DMER taps students of Nashik University to pledge for organ donation