Students of Govt Degree College Sumbal on Wednesday held a massive protest over the civilian killings in Khudwani Kulgam area of south Kashmir.
Earlier on Sunday, the security forces busted an old militant hideout in Rajouri's Gadyog area of Khawas in Jammu and Kashmir during a search operation.
While official statements from the police and the army are still awaited, the reports quoted sources as saying that one soldier - identified as Sada Gunakara Rao - succumbed to injuries.
The security forces finally used heavy explosives to destroy the house from where two or three militants linked to the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) were firing away in Wani Mohalla in Khudwani area.
U.S. approves $300mn guided missile deal with Qatar
Qatar has sought to stress its role as a reliable and agreeable US partner in a strategically vital region. Qatar denies all those charges.
However, when the demonstrators, raising slogans, tried to march towards the cordoned off area, security forces and state police personnel deployed in strength immediately swung into action.
The doctor at a local hospital in Qaimoh said that Sharjeel Sheikh succumbed after he suffered a bullet injury in his abdomen.
As the encounter was going on stone-pelting youth took to the streets and clashed with security forces to disrupt the anti-insurgency operation.
Meanwhile, Mobile internet services suspended in Kulgam and Anantnag districts of South Kasmir, in wake of the encounter. Two civilians with pellet injuries in the eyes were brought to Srinagar for treatment.
- Kimi Raikkonnen hits mechanic, breaking his leg during Bahrain F1 race
- Zidane stumped by Real's Euro-dominance and domestic woes
- No survivors in small plane crash at TPC Scottsdale
- Mexican Senate slams Trump's bid to militarize border
- Facebook bans another political data analytics firm, AggregateIQ
- Germany praises bail decision for ex-Catalan leader
- Alexis Sanchez produces superb second half performance against Manchester City
- Syrian Airbase in Homs Province Hit by Missile Attack
- Arizona, New Mexico, Texas sending 1600 Guard members to border
- Cristiano Ronaldo Smashes Home 650th Career Goal In Madrid Derby