A magnitude-5.3 natural disaster jolted Southern California on Thursday afternoon.
The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) initially reported the quake was a magnitude 5.0, but it was later upgraded to magnitude 5.3.
VIDEO: ABC7 Quake Cam captures 5.3-magnitude quake Following the quake, the Los Angeles Fire Department went into natural disaster mode to survey the greater Los Angeles area.
CBS Los Angeles reports the quake originated near the Channel Islands.
It tweeted: "A 5.3 natural disaster just occurred 23 east-southeast Santa Rosa Island off the coast of SW #CAwx".
The quake's epicenter was 17 miles (27 kilometers) from Santa Cruz Island, which is largely unpopulated but does have some staff and is visited by campers.
Los Angeles city fire fighters from all 106 of the agency's stations were fanning out across the city to survey any damage from the quake, according to spokeswoman Margaret Stewart.
'Fortnite' Vending Machine Locations - How to Find a Vending Machine
The other main new feature is the vending machines in the Battle Royale mode, which spits out loot in exchange for materials. Epic has kept a pretty consistent update schedule for Fortnite , introducing a new patch almost every week.
The temblor was felt as far away as Los Angeles, according to media reports.
Although there was no significant damage reported, some bricks fell from a chimney at a historic ranch in the Channel Islands region.
During a press conference, Dr. Andrews said the off-shore quake is the strongest to hit the area since March 28, 2014, just over four years ago, when La Habra was rocked by a magnitude 5.1 shaker.
Shortly after the quake, the Los Angeles Fire Department went into natural disaster mode.
"We recognise that the probability of having a large natural disaster goes up". "Being prepared is always your best bet to help yourself".
Phivolcs says that an Intensity IV quake is considered "moderately strong" with a vibration that is "felt like a passing of heavy truck" and causes hanging objects to swing considerably.
This is a developing story. "You can't change chance of EQ (earthquake) but you can reduce the chance of damage".
- German court agrees to release former Catalan leader on bail
- Paytm Mall to raise $446 mn from SoftBank and Alibaba
- John Krasinski's awkward encounter with a blunt customs agent
- Arsenal's Calum Chambers targets strong Premier League finish
- Final Four hero lifts Notre Dame to title
- Subscription streaming service to launch on 12 April
- Prince Philip admitted to hospital for planned hip surgery
- Apple hires Google's head of search, Strathclyde Uni graduate John Giannandrea
- China vows 'same strength' measures against USA tariffs
- Grindr Admits To Sharing Its Users' HIV Information