Forecasters expect a slightly above-average season, with 14 named storms.
Starting in 1953, the National Hurricane Center originally named all tropical storms.
"Coastal residents are reminded that it only takes one hurricane making landfall to make it an active season for them, and they need to prepare the same for every season, regardless of how much activity is predicted", the CSU report said Thursday.
The forecast also calls for 70 days during which a named storm will be present, 30 hurricane days and seven major hurricane days.
Long Island was pretty much spared previous year - which marked the fifth anniversary of superstorm Sandy - though areas of the South Shore and East End in September did experience high surf, coastal flooding and dune erosion from what had been Hurricane Jose, which lingered for days just to the southeast.
Prince Philip admitted to hospital for planned hip surgery
Very last June, Prince Philip put in two nights in hospital as a "precautionary measure" to its treating an undisclosed infection. He has missed a series of engagements and events over the last month, including the recent Easter Sunday service at St.
"It's important to remember the number of storms and impacts don't really correlate", said Marthers.
"The current weak La Nina event appears likely to transition to neutral ENSO [El Nino-Southern Oscillation] over the next several months, but at this point, we do not anticipate a significant El Nino event this summer/fall", the CSU team said in an extended range forecast. The western tropical Atlantic is anomalously warm right now, while portions of the eastern tropical Atlantic and the far North Atlantic are anomalously cool. Researchers believe there is a 39 percent chance of a hurricane hitting the East Coast, according to the forecast.
Phil Klotzbach, a Colorado State research scientist and the forecast lead author, told the Times that Atlantic waters have started the year colder than normal but have significantly warmed in the spring and summer.
The probability for a hurricane tracking into the Caribbean is put at 52%, above the 42% long-term average.
The state of Florida is still recovering from the devastation of Hurricanes Irma and Maria last season.
"The conditions just don't look as strong as what they were past year".
- Robert Griffin III, Ravens, reach agreement on 1-year deal
- John Krasinski's awkward encounter with a blunt customs agent
- Dutch Lawyer Convicted as Part of Mueller Investigation
- Paytm Mall to raise $446 mn from SoftBank and Alibaba
- Arsenal's Calum Chambers targets strong Premier League finish
- China vows 'same strength' measures against USA tariffs
- Max Holloway To Fight in Main Card at UFC 223ax
- 'Fortnite' Vending Machine Locations - How to Find a Vending Machine
- Marvel's Spider-Man is swinging onto PlayStation this September
- Active shooter situation at YouTube headquarters; multiple patients