Paytm Mall plans to use the funding to improve its technology and build up its logistics.
Softbank Investment Advisors will finance the joint venture through its Softbank Vision Fund. Japanese investment giant Softbank will contribute Rs 2,600 crore in the round while rest of the contribution will come from Alibaba.
Confirming the development, Amit Sinha, Chief Operating Officer at Paytm Mall in a media statement said, "This latest investment led by SoftBank and Alibaba reaffirms the strength of our business model, growth trajectory, execution capability and the potential of India's massive O2O model in the retail space".
The deal, which marks SoftBank's first funding in Paytm Mall, will see the Japanese entity holding over 20 per cent stake after the transaction is completed.
Ghouta Falls in Syrian Regime's Clutches
He said the buses leaving Douma on Monday were transporting wounded fighters as a first step in the evacuations. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights is reporting 19 pro-government fighters were killed .
The investment will also give SoftBank a deep presence in the Indian e-commerce sector. It was also reported that Paytm Mall has put a target to achieve $10 Bn gross merchandise volume run rate by end of FY19.
SoftBank's Vision Fund took roughly a fifth of Flipkart a year ago for US$2.5 billion. This will be SoftBank's second investment in an online retailer in India.
According to the company, offline stores registered on its platform drive over 60% of sales. The company has tied up with brands like Big Bazaar, FBB, Samsung, Red Tape and others, apart from smaller ones that are popular across markets.
Online marketplace Paytm E-Commerce Pvt. The platform Paytm Mall is inspired by Alibaba's T-mall in China. Previously, this third position was loosely held by Snapdeal but its downfall a year ago certainly seems to have paved the way for Paytm Mall's rise.
- Saudi prince's visit expected to impact traffic in Puget Sound region
- Grindr Admits To Sharing Its Users' HIV Information
- Ex-spy poisoning row: Britain unable to identify source of nerve agent
- Active shooter situation at YouTube headquarters; multiple patients
- Final Four hero lifts Notre Dame to title
- Subscription streaming service to launch on 12 April
- New Uprising Event in Overwatch Dated For April 10th
- Dutch Lawyer Convicted as Part of Mueller Investigation
- Max Holloway To Fight in Main Card at UFC 223ax
- India to host dialogue with Japan and U.S. to countervail China?