He joked that he had to do double the work after Ant stepped down from future TV commitments.
Presenting on his own for the first time in the programme's history, Dec oversaw an nearly seamless live 90-minute show with his only mishap dropping a carton of popcorn. I didn't sleep an bad lot last night so I'm off to bed!
However, Dec and the production team made a decision to complete the show's run and air the remaining two episodes.
Ant was not completely absent from the programme.
He was supported throughout tonight's show by Stephen Mulhern, Scarlett Moffat and surprise guest Davina McCall.
Dec then took the opportunity to bid farewell to The London Studios, home to Saturday Night Takeaway since 2002, and wandered the corridors of the soon-to-close Southbank building where he and Ant also filmed SM:TV Live.
New question on upcoming 2020 census has some raising an eyebrow
The Maryland jurisdiction of almost 900,000 people borders Washington, D.C., with 65 percent of the population African American. An estimated 2.1 percent of the African-American and 1.5 percent of the Hispanic population were missed during the last Census.
It's also thought that Dec will make "a lower key entrance than usual" when he takes to the stage as the Geordie duo usually open the show to much fanfare, running through the studio audience as a live band plays.
Following the airing of the pre-recorded sketch which saw Ant and Dec reunited, Merchant said: "That other guy was good, you should do more stuff with him".
One viewer said: "Dec has smashed tonight's #SaturdayNightTakeaway".
And referencing Dec's first solo effort, he assured him: "I don't care what the producers are saying back here - I think you're doing a great job".
Dec, 42, who recently confirmed he is going to be a father, will also present next week's final episode in Florida.
Ant was charged with drink-driving following a collision on March 18, and is expected to appear in court on April 4.
- USA $521 million jackpot up for grabs
- ABC renews 'Roseanne' for Season 11
- Interesting Tidbits from Tiffany Haddish's Interview That Aren't About Beyoncé
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Criticizes Facebook's Approach to Privacy
- Major League Baseball free agent rumors: Greg Holland, Cardinals finalizing deal
- Lindsay Lohan Loses 'Grand Theft Auto: V' Lawsuit Over 'Likeness' To Character
- Who Is Philip Meacham? Suspect Posing As Police Officer Kills Kentucky Cop
- In Case You Forgot, Trump Still Hates Amazon
- Tracking morning showers Friday with temps in the near 60s
- Why Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella Is Tearing Up the Windows Business