Meanwhile, The Guardian quotes a Facebook spokeswoman saying, "Mark, Sheryl and their teams are working around the clock to get all the facts and take the appropriate action moving forward, because they understand the seriousness of this issue".
On Monday, Facebook's shares fell 7 per cent after reports that British firm Cambridge Analytica, a consultant for now US President Donald Trump's Presidential campaign, used data, including user likes, inappropriately obtained from Facebook users to try and influence the elections held in November 2016.
"In a recent tweet, Brian Acton wrote, "It is time", with a hashtag, to "#deletefacebook". Acton stayed on with Facebook until 2017, but has since invested $50 million in Signal, a messaging app that is a direct competitor of Facebook's messaging apps.
Facebook hires digital forensics firm to audit Cambridge Analytica
Nix then suggested they could have someone pose as a wealthy developer. Watch the full Channel 4 broadcast on Cambridge Analytica below.
While there is a huge debate going over this, there were many users who also pitched an idea to ditch all social media platforms owned by Facebook.
In what will surely be another blow to Facebook, WhatsApp cofounder Brian Acton appears to have joined the growing movement to leave the social network.
Facebook knew about this data leak back in 2015, but didn't make the information public. Facebook said Friday that Kogan "lied to us" and did not delete the data as they demanded.
As the years have progressed, WhatsApp has increasingly grown its interdependence on Facebook infrastructure with a plan for deeper integration about sharing data with the parent company.
- Austin Police Say Trip Wire Bomb Triggered Sunday Night Explosion
- Jonathan Martin Reportedly Surrenders to Police on Charges from Instagram Post
- American Idol: Audriana Bolton Sings Mariah Carey In Daisy Dukes
- USA arrests Iranian over alleged US$115m sanctions evasion scheme
- Terrorists' Digital Messages Target of Southeast Asia-Australia Pact
- Actor Jim Carrey Blasted Over Painting that Resembles Huckabee Sanders
- Sterling dips after United Kingdom inflation slows more than expected
- Wolfe Research Downgrades Dominion Energy Midstream Partners (DM) to Peer Perform
- Kohl's joins retailers in opposing Trump tariffs
- Autonomous Uber prototype kills pedestrian on public road