The Sex and the City actress, who played high-flying lawyer Miranda Hobbes in the HBO TV series, shared the exciting news on social media on Monday - following weeks of speculation.
"New York is where I was raised, and where I'm raising my kids", Nixon says in voice over.
"How did we let this happen?"
"Half the kids in our upstate cities live below the poverty line".
Cynthia Nixon could become the first female and the first openly gay governor of NY if she wins the primary and the general election. "If we want change, we have to go out ourselves and seize it".
She listed off healthcare, mass incarceration, and fixing the Subway as her key points as the video ended on what appeared to be her campaign slogan, "Cynthia for New York".
Cynthia will challenge current Governor Andrew M. Cuomo in this year's Democratic primary.
State police increase patrols for St
Marijuana use can also be impairing, especially in combination with alcohol or other drugs, and can result in a DUI. Walking home can also be risky if you are impaired, so designated a sober walking buddy.
Nixon's looming candidacy has unnerved some supporters of Cuomo. A Cuomo campaign spokesperson released the following statement Monday afternoon. "We are now the most unequal state in the entire country with both incredible wealth and extreme poverty", Nixon says in the video.
Nixon isn't just an actress, she's also a mom of three, with a passion for public education.
The governor, who is seeking his third term, has downplayed the competition and Nixon has never previously run for office.
Oh, and if the 51-year-old wins she'll be the first openly gay woman to hold the position!
Nixon has already faced criticism for that decision, with Harvard professor Alan Dershowitz accusing her of collaborating "with Israel haters" and calling on NY voters not to support her "bigotry". According to The New York Times, his name was mentioned 163 times during the eight-week federal trial.
"I'm not nervous about whoever runs", Cuomo said last week.
"Cynthia hasn't been bought and paid for by special interests and won't be accepting any corporate contributions in this campaign", the linked donation website reads. In 2010, Nixon signed a letter supporting a boycott of actors in Israel who said they would refuse to perform at a new theatre in the occupied West Bank.
Republican leaders, meanwhile, have been coalescing behind Dutchess County Executive Marc Molinaro as a candidate, with state Sen. "We are sick of politicians who care more about power than they do about us".
- Brits warn poisoning is 'challenge to all' as Turnbull considers Russian Federation sanctions
- India Issues Thirteenth Note Verbale to Pakistan Over Harassment of Diplomats
- Palestinian stabs Israeli and is then shot dead by security forces
- Kelly seeks to reassure White House staff, pledges 'no immediate personnel changes'
- Russia Calls British PM's Allegations Over Poisoning 'Insane'
- Tiger claws back into contention for first win since 2013
- American Idol: Audriana Bolton Sings Mariah Carey In Daisy Dukes
- Canada has its best Paralympic Winter Games ever
- Federer seeking 6th title at Indian Wells against Del Potro
- Actor Jim Carrey Blasted Over Painting that Resembles Huckabee Sanders