A self-driving auto from Uber Technologies Inc. struck a woman who died Monday in Tempe, Ariz., in what is the first known fatality of a pedestrian from a driverless vehicle.
It was reported that earlier this morning, an Uber self-driving vehicle struck and killed a pedestrian in Tempe, Arizona. She later died at a hospital.
The Uber vehicle was in autonomous mode, with an operator behind the wheel, when it hit a woman walking in the street in the city of Tempe, according to the San Francisco-based company. No passengers were inside.
Uber launched its self-driving research program in 2015 and had deployed cars on roads in Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Toronto.
This isn't Uber's first accident in Tempe involving an autonomous vehicle.
Uber expressed condolences to Herzberg's family and says it is working with local law enforcement on the investigation.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has already sent a crash investigation team out to the scene.
Tiger claws back into contention for first win since 2013
A year later, Stenson was tied for the lead on the back nine until dropping two shots and tying for third. That's his longest such stretch in five years. "I was definitely more nervous today".
The self-driving cars are supposed to detect pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles to prevent crashes.
Uber Comms, Uber's PR page on Twitter posted, "Our hearts go out to the victim's family".
"If you're driving a auto, you don't need a fish and game permit". In 2016, the driver of a self-driving Tesla vehicle was killed after he repeatedly ignored the car's warnings to get his hands on the wheel.
Nearly exactly one year ago, Uber suspended its self-driving testing in Arizona following a crash (see video).
However, two Democratic U.S. senators on Thune's committee, Ed Markey of MA and Richard Blumenthal of CT, said the Uber incident demands a tough response. California also requires companies to report all crashes involving their test cars.
- Parkland shooting surveillance videos released
- State police increase patrols for St
- Terrorists' Digital Messages Target of Southeast Asia-Australia Pact
- Kohl's joins retailers in opposing Trump tariffs
- India Issues Thirteenth Note Verbale to Pakistan Over Harassment of Diplomats
- Austin Police Say Trip Wire Bomb Triggered Sunday Night Explosion
- Brits warn poisoning is 'challenge to all' as Turnbull considers Russian Federation sanctions
- After major NCAA upset, lunch is on Little Caesars on Monday
- Wales captain Jones commits future to Ospreys
- Russia Calls British PM's Allegations Over Poisoning 'Insane'