"This will be the 29th time the sisters have played each other in a Women's Tennis Association match and first since the final of last year's Australian Open, when Serena Williams was a 6-4, 6-4 victor. They played Monday night for the first time since last year's Australian Open final, when a pregnant Serena won her 23rd Grand Slam title.
Venus extended her lead once more to 5-2 and missed the first match point, but Venus failed to slam the door in a nervy game and double-faulted on break point.
Now unseeded in Indian Wells, Serena has beaten her world No. 8-ranked sister 17 of the last 28 times. The head-to-head record is 17-12, still in favour of Serena now. Serena returned to the tournament in 2015 and Venus a year later. "You know, we can always stay in the tournament longer if the both of us are in the tournament", Serena said.
Making her comeback at Indian Wells, where she lifted the trophy twice previously, Serena had seen off Zarina Diyas and Kiki Bertens. Venus had a first-round bye before taking out Sorana Cirstea in the second.
The world No. 1, like many fans around the world, is buzzing over episode 29 of the Venus vs. Serena rivalry at Indian Wells tonight. In an interview with BBC, Serena said, "It's been hard".
Huawei link as Trump scuttles Broadcom-Qualcomm deal
It would have been the most valuable tech takeover in the world had it gone ahead. It would also have been the biggest takeover the technology sector had ever seen.
Venus broke Serena's service four times in two sets which set up her win in the third round.
Venus has only beaten Serena once since 2009, but the younger sister has just returned after becoming a mother. Unseeded at a tournament for the first time since Cincinnati in 2011, Serena struggled to counter Venus when her sister attacked her forehand with her deep and flat groundstrokes.
When Serena is missing some of those shots, she says she isn't being as harsh on herself as in the past with her daughter in mind. First of all, 17 years ago seems like forever ago.
"I still have a lot to give". I love it. I love her so much.
Up to 7 courts, including the biggest matches of each day.
Garcia will face 10th seed Angelique Kerber after she ousted defending champion Elena Vesnina in straight sets, the German saving nine of 13 break points to come through 7-5, 6-2 in one hour and 39 minutes.
- Eibar 1-2 Real Madrid: Cristiano Ronaldo the Saviour Again
- Tottenham Hotspur's Harry Kane leaves Bournemouth game with injury
- Julius Randle hits top gear as LA Lakers sweep aside…
- Elizabeth Warren Insists She Isn't Running for President in 2020
- Jack Wilshere delays signing new Arsenal contract, claiming 'things have changed'
- Nepal crash survivor lucky to be alive
- A 90 per cent shot? Tiger seeks to maintain awesome Sunday record
- Patriots Acquire Danny Shelton From Browns
- Clemson, Cougars await NCAA fate; USC finds out if season continues
- French President Emmanuel Macron receives ceremonial welcomes at Rashtrapati Bhavan