In a post on Medium, Waymo announced that it will be starting a pilot program for its autonomous trucks in Atlanta, Georgia next week.
The bright blue trucks in Waymo's Atlanta pilot will still have back-up drivers in the cabs to monitor systems and take control if needed.
Mostly known for its self-driving cars, Waymo has integrated its technology into Peterbilt Class 8 trucks, which will carry cargo to Google data centers.
Over the past year, Waymo has been quietly conducting road tests of Waymo's self-driving trucks in California and Arizona.
Waymo moves beyond driverless taxis with trucking program
"Our software is learning to drive big rigs in much the same way a human driver would after years of driving passenger cars", the company's post said. Waymo says the "principles are the same, but things like braking, turning, and blind spots are different with a fully-loaded truck and trailer".
Waymo has been testing autonomous cars in the wild for some time and has also revealed plans for a self-driving ride-hailing service and unveiled a self-driving minivan. The software is also the same and it benefits from having driven five million miles on public roads and over five billion miles in simulations. Of course, Waymo's eventual goal is for its trucks to take care of themselves, and the company said that its pilot will help that vision become a reality sooner rather than later.
The announcement comes days after rival Uber said its fleet of self-driving trucks was in use in Arizona.
While the automotive industry is focused on self-driving cars, operating self-driving cars on city streets seems much more complicated than sending a truck down the highway without a driver.Читайте также: Richard Sherman Visiting 49ers, 'Real Chance' Deal Happens
Waymo's self-driving trucks will start rolling out next week.
"As we look to the future of innovation and efficiency, self-driving vehicles are at the forefront of enhancing roadway safety and making the transportation of American goods more feasible".
U.S. states set their own rules for roads, and a handful have passed laws allowing self-driving vehicles.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2018 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- New $10 Bill Honouring Viola Desmond's Courage Is Here. And It's Vertical
- New $10 bill unveiled, featuring civil rights icon Viola Desmond
- President Erdogan says Turkey can enter Afrin centre 'at any moment'
- Kawhi Leonard says he'll return "soon", no friction between him and team
- China sets GDP growth target of 6.5 percent for 2018
- Aid reaches Syria's Ghouta amid renewed regime attacks
- BLS: Employment up 313000; unemployment rate unchanged
- Initial 911 call in officer-involved shooting traced to Windsor
- PUBG has "much work to do" on esports
- Spring Your Clocks Forward this Weekend for Daylight Saving Time