Includes material from FBN-Packers-Browns Trade.
The trade won't become official until the new NFL league year begins on Wednesday, but two league sources confirmed the deal had been made. In going 0-16 last season Cleveland called upon DeShone Kizer for 15 of those games, with the rookie completing 53.6 percent of his passes and throwing for 2,894 yards, 11 touchdowns and 22 interceptions.
As one quarterback comes in for the Cleveland Browns, another leaves town.
Considering how thin the Green Bay Packers already were at cornerback, first-year general manager Brian Gutekunst must really be convinced he can upgrade the position through free agency and the draft - and must really feel the team needed more competition behind star quarterback Aaron Rodgers.
The Browns also hold the top overall pick in next month's NFL Draft.
Randall had 10 interceptions in his first threes season in Green Bay.
Patriots Acquire Danny Shelton From Browns
Cleveland switched from a 3-4 defensive scheme to a 4-3 last season, and Shelton was not playing over the center as in the past. While Shelton won't provide the Patriots with much a pass rusher, he is a massive man that is very strong against the run.
The Browns aren't done making moves on the last Friday of the league year.
Cleveland selected the rifle-armed Kizer in the second round last year, and after a unusual training camp in which he passed both Cody Kessler and Brock Osweiler on the depth chart, the 22-year-old was named the Browns' starter by coach Hue Jackson.
Not only was accuracy an issue, but turnovers also added to the Browns' problems. He rushed 77 times for 419 yards and five TDs.
Kizer was the No. 52 overall pick in the draft by Cleveland a year ago.
The Green Bay Packers certainly didn't trade Damarious Randall on Friday night for salary cap reasons.
Smith caught 36 passes for 430 yards and two touchdowns in the 2017 regular season and added 13 receptions for 157 yards and one score in the Eagles' playoff run to the Super Bowl crown.
- Military vehicles to roll through Washington in parade
- New $10 Bill Honouring Viola Desmond's Courage Is Here. And It's Vertical
- New $10 bill unveiled, featuring civil rights icon Viola Desmond
- BLS: Employment up 313000; unemployment rate unchanged
- Richard Sherman Visiting 49ers, 'Real Chance' Deal Happens
- Sherman to meet with 49ers on Saturday
- Initial 911 call in officer-involved shooting traced to Windsor
- Giroud gets the nod up front against Crystal Palace
- Aid reaches Syria's Ghouta amid renewed regime attacks
- PUBG has "much work to do" on esports