Prosecutors asked for the trial to come before a related trial Mr. Manafort is set to face in Washington in September, while Mr. Manafort requested a November date.
The federal judge in Virginia set July 10 as the start of Manafort's trial.
Manafort has been under increasing pressure to cooperate with Mueller, especially after his former business partner and former Trump deputy campaign manager Rick Gates pleaded guilty last month to lying to investigators and conspiring to defraud the United States.
In Washington D.C., Manafort is charged with making false statements about his foreign lobbying work for pro-Russia Ukrainian politicians, and engaging in a money laundering conspiracy.
None of the charges against Manafort make reference to alleged Russian interference in the election nor the accusations of collusion between Moscow and Trump's campaign.
U.S. secretary of state on first official trip to Sub-Saharan Africa
China is aggressively working to expand its regional influence, which is something of concern to US lawmakers. About $184 million was destined South Sudan and $110 million for Somalia amid conflicts in both countries.
In one instance, Manafort allegedly dealt with an unpaid $300,000 American Express bill by telling a bank that Gates had borrowed his credit card and run up the charges, the indictment says.
Attorney Andrew Weissman, representing Special Counsel Robert Mueller, told the judge he expects the government will bring forward 20 to 25 witnesses.
The cases are U.S. v. Manafort, 18-cr-83, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia (Alexandria), and U.S. v. Manafort, 17-cr-201, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia (Washington).
Prosecutors had offered to combine the indictments in the District, but Manafort refused to do so.
"The new allegations against Mr. Manafort, once again, have nothing to do with Russian Federation and 2016 election interference/collusion", the statement said. He faces up to 15 years on the charges of filing false tax returns and up to 20 years on the charges of failing to report foreign bank accounts.
The Justice Department responded with a 35-page brief last week, saying Manafort could not use a civil lawsuit to attack ongoing criminal proceedings.
- Luigi's Mansion Remake, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story & More Coming To 3DS
- ER visits for opioid overdoses soar in Wisconsin
- France To Make 15 Legal Age Of Consent For Sex
- Rams RB Todd Gurley is not happy about the Alec Ogletree trade
- Beijing official urges efforts for Xi's 'Chinese Dream'
- Serena has high expectations heading into Indian Wells
- Iran rebuffs French FM demands to curb missiles on Tehran visit
- United Nations accuses Syria regime of orchestrating 'apocalypse'
- Mark Cuban investigated in 2011 for sexual assault at Portland nightclub
- Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway violated Hatch Act, watchdog says