She also wrote, produced and starred in the film. The 30-year-old actor stars in the short about a child Libby, played by Maisie Sly, who lives a silent life until a social worker (Shenton) teaches her to communicate through sign language.
"I made a promise to our six-year-old lead actress that I'd sign this speech and my hands are shaking a little so I apologise", she began.
Standing alongside fiance Chris Overton, Rachel then told the crowd: "Our movie is about a deaf child being born into a world of silence". Overton later told BBC 5 live: "When we won I could see her up there jumping up and down and that was surreal".
Rachel actually delivered her acceptance speech in sign language, and apologized for it being a bit shaky.
Admitting the win still hadn't sunk in, she added: "We were being serious when we were saying we're so honoured to be nominated, we really, really meant it".
All the details of Meghan Markle's baptism this month
Markle snapped with her mother at the 2017 Invictus Games. "She and Harry have been doing wedding prep with him". And just to think, this is only the beginning.
As she accepted her award, Frances took the moment to celebrate women who were nominated, and in a bold statement in the midst of the Time's Up movement, invited all female nominees to stand in solidarity with her during her speech.
Rachel's father became deaf for the final two years of his life after undergoing chemotherapy treatment for cancer. She is an ambassador for the National Deaf Children's Society and climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in 2013 in aid of the charity.
The couple stood with the Hollywood heavyweights with their film financed, thanks to their parents raising cash by making and selling cupcakes. He said: "It's really your hard work for the last 12 years that has really made this project authentic".
Maisie's family had recently relocated 160 miles from Plymouth to Swindon so Maisie could attend a mainstream school where deaf children are supported.
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ Dual Aperture Camera Dominantes In DxOMark Benchmark
- Arsenal's confidence is shattered, admits Laurent Koscielny
- Miserable Arsenal lose again as Brighton claim vital win
- Aldon smith involved in domestic violence incident, fled scene before police arrived
- Oscars 2018: Gary Oldman named best actor for 'Darkest Hour'
- English-born Scott McTominay has chose to play global football for Scotland
- Turkey, Free Syrian Army clear town center in NW Syria
- France To Make 15 Legal Age Of Consent For Sex
- Former Drug Executive Martin Shkreli Ordered to Surrender $7.36 Million
- Google releases March 2018 security patch update for Pixel and Nexus devices