No other injuries reported.
People ran down the sidewalk along the north side of the White House on Pennsylvania Avenue after a man fired a gun on March 3.
The victim suffered a single gunshot wound, and Secret Service personnel did not fire any shots, Secret Service spokeswoman Cathy Milhoan said.
President Trump is now in West Palm Beach with First Lady Melania Trump, but has been briefed on the incident, according to White House deputy press secretary Hogan Gidley.
The authorities are now "working to notify next of kin".
Medical personnel were called to respond to the male victim, but he was declared dead at the scene, the U.S. Secret Service said.
Kim Kardashian shares the first photo of baby Chicago
She's gone dark, blond and gray as a ghost, but Kim Kardashian's newest hairstyle is pretty in pink.and she insists it's all real. Kim wrote , " The sweetest! ". " Kanye's said he's waited his whole life for this moment, Family Feud ".
The DC Police Department earlier said in a tweet: "Our natural death squad is on the scene".
Staff were instructed to take shelter inside after the incident occurred in the afternoon.
JOURNALISTS hid in the briefing room of the White House yesterday after a man shot himself in the head outside the gates.
He said he had the information confirmed to him by a US Secret Service Agent at around midday local time.
No one else was injured, according to police. "Trying to learn more". None of those rounds appeared to have been aimed at the White House, the agency said.
- Kabul vehicle bomb attack: Two Australian nationals wounded says Julie Bishop
- Central Virginia bracing for high winds
- Leicester City's Shinji Okazaki could return to squad for clash against Bournemouth
- Prayers for victim and alleged shooter day after CMU shooting
- India, Vietnam sign pacts on atomic energy, trade, agriculture
- White House preparing for exit of national security advisor HR McMaster
- U.S. support for Saudi Arabia in Yemen must end, senators say
- Vettel and Hamilton Expect Rivalry to Heat Up
- Companies take gun control into their own hands
- President Buhari condemns 'despicable' attack on humanitarian aid workers