Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma submitted his resignation to Governor Ganga Prasad in Shillong on Sunday.
Castigating the BJP for attempting to form government in Meghalaya, Sangma said, "Respect mandate of the people". I met Governor& I have indicated that I will come back with letters of support from like-minded people.
Sources informed DNA that the Congress said that they don't have the numbers to form the government.
"We met the Governor and sought his invitation to the single largest party to be called first to form the government as per convention", former Union minister Nath had told PTI.
He said Congress was in touch all the regional parties in Meghayala in its efforts to form the government.
"Running a coalition government is never easy but I am confident that the MLAs who are with us are very committed to the state and people, will work towards development of the state", Sangma was quoted as saying by ANI.
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed, Sisi hold talks in Egypt
The crown prince has visited Egypt several times in recent years while serving as deputy crown prince. Egypt is a member of a Saudi-led coalition fighting Iranian-backed Shiite rebels in Yemen.
The Congress had failed to form governments in Goa and Manipur despite emerging as the single-largest party in both assemblies after elections a year ago. Congress emerged as the single largest party with 21 seats, down from 28 from last assembly polls, Conrad Sangma's National People's Party (NPP) won 19 seats, while UDP managed to secure six seats.
MLAs from the NPP led by Sangma, and legislators from the BJP and UDP reached Meghalaya Governor Ganga Prasad's residence in Shillong to stake claim to form the government.
A day after the election results in three north-east states, Congress' footprint has shrunk to just three of India, Karnataka, Punjab and Mizoram.
He questioned the Congress for sending two of its senior leaders Ahmed Patel and Kamal Nath to the northeastern state. Bhartiya Janata Party won two seats and the NCP and KHNAM one seats each, besides three independents.
Outgoing Chief Minister Mukul Sangma had contested and won the elections from two seats. Here the BJP ally's the Nationalist People's Party (NPP), will be a key player in the formation of government.
- Kabul vehicle bomb attack: Two Australian nationals wounded says Julie Bishop
- MA man charged in Trump Jr. hoax threat letter
- Leicester City's Shinji Okazaki could return to squad for clash against Bournemouth
- Commission Urges EU States To Toughen Approach To Terrorists, Illegal Online Content
- Schools across West Virginia closed for sixth day
- White House preparing for exit of national security advisor HR McMaster
- It's not "impossible" for Real Madrid to win La Liga - Zinedine Zidane
- Kim Kardashian shares the first photo of baby Chicago
- Putin Says Would Reverse Collapse Of Soviet Union If He Could
- Eight men charged after two supermarkets looted during blizzard