Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma submitted his resignation to Governor Ganga Prasad in Shillong on Sunday.
Castigating the BJP for attempting to form government in Meghalaya, Sangma said, "Respect mandate of the people". I met Governor& I have indicated that I will come back with letters of support from like-minded people.
Sources informed DNA that the Congress said that they don't have the numbers to form the government.
"We met the Governor and sought his invitation to the single largest party to be called first to form the government as per convention", former Union minister Nath had told PTI.
He said Congress was in touch all the regional parties in Meghayala in its efforts to form the government.
"Running a coalition government is never easy but I am confident that the MLAs who are with us are very committed to the state and people, will work towards development of the state", Sangma was quoted as saying by ANI.
Kabul vehicle bomb attack: Two Australian nationals wounded says Julie Bishop
No groups have claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Taliban and ISIS have repeatedly targeted the city. Camera IconSecurity forces inspect the site of an attack in Kabul, Afghanistan, Friday, March 2, 2018.
The Congress had failed to form governments in Goa and Manipur despite emerging as the single-largest party in both assemblies after elections a year ago. Congress emerged as the single largest party with 21 seats, down from 28 from last assembly polls, Conrad Sangma's National People's Party (NPP) won 19 seats, while UDP managed to secure six seats.
MLAs from the NPP led by Sangma, and legislators from the BJP and UDP reached Meghalaya Governor Ganga Prasad's residence in Shillong to stake claim to form the government.
A day after the election results in three north-east states, Congress' footprint has shrunk to just three of India, Karnataka, Punjab and Mizoram.
He questioned the Congress for sending two of its senior leaders Ahmed Patel and Kamal Nath to the northeastern state. Bhartiya Janata Party won two seats and the NCP and KHNAM one seats each, besides three independents.
Outgoing Chief Minister Mukul Sangma had contested and won the elections from two seats. Here the BJP ally's the Nationalist People's Party (NPP), will be a key player in the formation of government.
- Teacher arrested after firing a gun in a US high school
- Commission Urges EU States To Toughen Approach To Terrorists, Illegal Online Content
- Leicester City's Shinji Okazaki could return to squad for clash against Bournemouth
- Football rules body IFAB approve use of VAR at World Cup
- Prayers for victim and alleged shooter day after CMU shooting
- Google's Slack Competitor Hangouts Chat Launches For Businesses Using G Suite
- White House preparing for exit of national security advisor HR McMaster
- It's not "impossible" for Real Madrid to win La Liga - Zinedine Zidane
- President Buhari condemns 'despicable' attack on humanitarian aid workers
- Seattle Seahawks Actively Trying To Trade Michael Bennett